1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mum is saying I have a disease..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Priiiide, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Priiiide

I have accidentally come out to my mum and she isn't taking it that well at all. She's always emotional telling me to break it out with my partner and saying we will be happier apart and that my path is to get married to a boy and have kids etc. she keeps saying that my love is an illusion and is not normal and a disease. She is even leaving the country to get away over the festive season. I want to slip in a little present, letter and photo of us in her suitcase. I want to explain to her that I didn't choose this and so on. I cannot find the words to explain it to her. Can anyone please suggest anything to me??

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow. First of all, sorry to hear she's taking it so rough. All I can suggest is patience, really. The longer it's apparent you are les, the less she will be able to say your love is an illusion. Furthermore, if she sees you genuinely happy with girls, maybe in time she won't think of it as a disease.

Above all, stay strong. :slight_smile:

3. LiquidSwords

Try and give her an idea of how hard it was for you coming to terms with being gay. If you can make her understand that then she should start sympathising with you rather than scorning you.

4. cloudburn

I am so very sorry for what you are going through. I know how hard this is, and like RSwordsman said, it gets better with time. Also if she's willing, try to sit her down and have her watch "For the Bible tells me so..." Even if you aren't religious, it offers some amazing insight to how other parents of LGBT children reacted to their kids' coming out, along with fun scientific facts about homosexuality, mixed with some truely touching stories.

If you need someone to talk to, I'm here (*hug*)