1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friends at University.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Scootering, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Scootering

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

So I started university in the beginning of October, and I originally planned to come out once I'd found the right friends. After moving from group to group (which my residence made so much easier to do so), I found the "right people", they were funny, immature and I really got along with them.

So a few weeks pass and they start to notice things and I start getting comments about my sexuality "Are you gay?" etc etc, I say no because I didn't think I was ready.

I then decided to think on who I should tell first. At home, i'd already told my parents and my 4 closest friends and they were all perfectly fine with it. I decided and I was just waiting for the right time.

Skip ahead a couple of days and I'm sitting in my friends room with 2 girls and this one guy. (The guy isn't exactly a lad lad, he's innocent and brands himself as "asexual".). The conversation arrises, and they start poking fun about it "You were so camp last night!". (Turns out, alcohol makes me act differently :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). One of the girls then says "Will you please just come out already, I want a gay best friend!". So I thought sod it, better time than ever. They were great with it and I really chose the best people.
    Naturally, I tell them not to tell people - as I don't think I'm ready..

(I've had an issue with telling any of my "guy friends". I don't have many, since I seem to get alone with girls much easily - but the one's I did have, at home and at uni - I thought that if I did tell them; they'd act differently around me and treat me different.)

Fast forward 3 more weeks and I've told a few more "girl friends" and they're all fine with it - we have a laugh about it.. especially with a rumour going around that I'd been sleeping with one of them (who has a boyfriend). That was bloody hilarious.

After talking with my friends about whether or not two guys would be okay with it, I start thinking of ways to tell them. But whenever I got the opportunity - I could never pluck up the courage to say it. But you know what works wonders? Alcohol!

We were going out on the Wednesday, and naturally we were all predrinking - however the two guys who I planned on telling weren't able to come due to exams/work/etc. Since I'm pretty lightweight, I'd already gotten on the borderline of drunk from 200cl of 4% Smirnoff Ice! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. We went to hang around in a guys room (I was with 3 friends who knew) and I just said it. It was a bit weird, but he was like.. "Okay.". I mean, it is kinda obvious - but that feeling was amazing. I then was just like "I'M GOING TO TELL ____." So I did, walked over to the other guys room and just said it. Totally cool with it.

That instance has given me a real confidence boost with telling more people, especially guys. So glad I did it - I think I wanna be fully out to all my friends at uni before the end of next term.

I'm also working on telling more people over Christmas.

Thanks for reading this if you did, I know it's complete waffle - but I needed something to vent too. :slight_smile:

2. Pain

Pain Guest

Congrats!!!! I'm a lightweight too! :grin: But university is generally a more accepting place :slight_smile: Congrats again!