1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Be Obvious?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by divinity1618, Feb 21, 2008.

1. divinity1618

divinity1618 Guest

I know having the revelation that... yes you are gay... is a big deal for most people. Maybe you didn't want to be gay, maybe your upbringing taught you that it is unholy or whatnot, but that was not the case for me. I always knew that I liked women but I didn't consider myself bisexual, it just didn't feel right. Not in the bad way, it just didn't seem like the right word. Then I fell in love with my best friend (male) and we had this awful tumultuous relationship which was so hard because we just get each other and have this amazing dichotomy but harmony... anyway
    we both came out
    So now I'm delighted that I'm gay (I just love women :icon_wink ) Anyway I told my mom blah blah... but I just get these urges to just TELL people! I'm not obviously gay, I'm not butch or whatever. People that I don't think know I just feel like saying, hey, I like girls! But then I think that would be really awkward so I don't do it. I feel like it impedes my meeting other gay people though. I don't know what to do....

2. KatoKumi

Man, if you were a boy, I could teach you all you need to know.

But you're a woman.

So...sorry.
    Lol.

3. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

Hey, I need some help, Kumi -_- Same subject

4. KatoKumi

Well normally a swagger in the hips rather than the shoulders gets the message across when you're moving around. But it doesn't have to be flamboyant. Make it noticeable, but not too big, unless you want to make it obvious-obvious.

I carry a bag with pins up and down the straps. It's not that girly, I've actually had people tell me that's how they knew I was gay. [Note: carrying a styling wax or some sort of mirror in this bag will also help].

And I wear a rainbow colored bracelet everywhere I go [1 year and 4 months with it on non-stop now]. It says WWJD on it [:

Also, if you're eating, keep it really tidy. Normally when I go out with my friends and their parents or some authority figure is there, they tell me to stop making such effeminate gestures. [So-called "effeminate gestures" can consist of elbows up while drinking, brushing off your legs, crossing your legs at the crotch, etc.] The rule is never to slouch.

And sometimes I go out with more colorful cartoon-ish stickers for my ipod's cover.

A more extreme one I do is wear clips in my hair.

And you can never go wrong with rainbows. Anywhere. [:

Thus ends the stupidity of how I communicate that I'm gay.

Sorry if this is all pretty big for you to swallow. But it's stuff I notice about myself or stuff people have told me.

5. pirateninja

Something rainbow should do the trick. Even though I'm very dykey (and pretty obvious in some respects) some people who just didn't guess took one look at the wristband and went "Holly, you're gay?" Now I'm hoping that my nan will get the message. :grin:

6. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

Yeah If your a girl I'm guessing you cnt go wrong with rainbow lol. Get like a rainbow bracelet or belt. Or try to find a pin or a shirt that says "I like girls"

7. KatoKumi

Most of my friends that are girls wear rainbows without being gay. That's why it must be pretty hard to convince people you're a lesbian upon sight unless your lips are on another woman.

...I don't know. Maybe it's because I hang out with very..colorful people.

8. Leigh

Leigh Guest

LOL
    a few years ago i was totally into rainbows, just cus i liked the colours etc.
    i was always the slow one who never understood the hidden meaning of anything..

no wonder everyone thought i was gay.

if it was me id just be really obvious wen checkin out girls.... but maybe im just a bit pervy lol.

(are you at college or anything???) cus my m8 kinda came out by sticking pics of girls she liked on her folders, etc. that worked and it wasnt really in your face.

:grin:

9. latinolover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    well i need help!!!

10. divadarya

I love this post....you guys are actually upset that people DON'T know you are gay(and proud)!!
    Rainbows are not as obvious as you think...Short hair makes people guess, but what if you don't like short hair?...Motorcycle jacket? Kinda absurd (though I ROCK mine...)
    Outside of a "Proud Lesbian" t shirt, I don't know....
    and yeah..doesn't it feel great when you tell people?
    D

11. pirateninja

There's no point being happy about being gay and then just keeping it under wraps from everyone!

ABSOLUTELY :grin:

12. Psychedelic Bookmarks

why don't you get one of those clever little badges saying "sorry boys, i'm gay :grin:" or whatever. there are all sorts of puns and so on. you can find them on gay stores on the internet. then just wear it about. they're obvious, but also funny and cool so it doesn't look like you're deliberately being obvious... if you know what i mean :wink:

13. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If a friend of yours goes "Don't you think this (male) celebrity is seriously hot?" then you should be like, "No way, Angelina Jolie (or whichever female celebrity) is way cuter" and that should put across the message that you're gay.

14. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I have talked about female actresses I've really liked to people before - in such a way to get a hint but not to push the point (this was actually to sus their sexuality out too actually!)

When I've told all the important people I plan to update my Facebook - whilst this doesn't help when you meet someone for the first time, at least when you friend them then they'll know...