1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my parents!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by mm11, Dec 25, 2012.

1. mm11

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I wanted to at least do the courtesy of coming out in person and not over the phone, so I decided to wait until I came home for Christmas to do so. Friday night while we were all sitting around I just sort of brought it up and spit it out.

I'm lucky enough to have very accepting parents...I was never particularly nervous about talking to them. Mom struggled because she didn't seem to understand why I was figuring this out now and never knew earlier in life. That's half my personal battle, so it was hard she couldn't understand I was just figuring it out now, but she's getting there.

I'm glad though. It makes it all a little more real...which scares me a little bit honestly, but I'm moving forward slowly but surely!

2. Gen

Gen

Thats doesnt seem all that slow. But thats great, I'm happy for you (*hug*)

3. Akatosh

That's awesome mm11! I was starting the conversation with my dad last night, but the car ride was only 2 miles and ran out of time. My dad knows, sorta, and is in denial, telling himself I'm completely hetero; my mom has a vague idea, but is further in denial and its her I'm scared of confronting. First I was more afraid of telling my dad, and now I'm more afraid of telling mom. Have they brought it back up? Or have you tried talking about it further since then?

4. GDUSA

GDUSA Guest

Congrats mm11! That's cool that they were accepting. I'm sure it's a relief now.

5. cloudburn

Congratulations! What a spectacular Christmas present, ehh? (*hug*)

6. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    Glad it went well! I was also waiting to tell my parents in person as well. However, my entire family has been stressed about preparing for Christmas (we have about 15 people over). I figured I probably shouldn't add anymore stress. Also, I did not want anyone to accuse me of "ruining Christmas." Although, I'm pretty sure they kind of know since I've been hinting at it for awhile. Now that our Christmas celebration is over I will tell them in the next few days.

7. mm11

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My dad has brought it up a couple of times since then just asking who else I've told and such. My aunt [his sister] is gay, so it just isn't a real stretch in this family, lucky for me.

My mom came later and was just like, I'm not remotely surprised, I just don't understand why you didn't always know. I'm just not one of those people who knew from the time I was a little kid. She doesn't quite get it, but she's getting there.

I'm extremely lucky to have the wonderful, accepting parents that I do. It obviously makes it much easier. I'm sure your family will get there though! The first step is being honest with them =)

My original plan was to wait until after the holiday, because I didn't want to turn Christmas into being all about me. We were all just hanging out the other night though and it seemed as good of a time as any. Good luck talking to them!

8. Tarius

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How lucky..
    I only came out to my mom, and she's fine with it. But my brother and dad are homophobic, never dare coming out to them.

9. Akatosh

Never say never! Although mm11 may be blessed with more accepting parents, he still has struggles like anyone else. His story illustrates that our biggest obstacle is ourselves.

10. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree,never say never,both my brother and father (even more so) were homophobic until I came out to them.Since then my dad has been known to stand up and defend anyone getting any abuse for being gay and my brother simply treats it as a complete non issue with me or any other gay/bi person.

Alot of parents see things differantly when there own son/daughter comes out.They are forced to look into things deeper,this is now something that affects them.Most homophobic parents are only this way because all they know about being gay is what society and religion has told them.Once they realize that they live/lived with a gay/lesbian and none of these awfull stereotypes seem to fit you it becomes clear that beeing gay is only a small part of who you are.

11. Shannon

Shannon Guest

Well at least some people can accept it. Even though I am pretty sure now, I plan on waiting a few year just to make sure that this IS me. I have no shame and my mum actually likes women so I know she will understand. To be honest I think she already has an idea. Unfortunately, my mum is unable to care for me because of her schizophrenia so since 1, my granparents have looked after me. They are homophobic :frowning2:

12. SparkDT

Congrats! :slight_smile: