1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my dad on christmas.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Draco, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Draco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well its a bit of a drunken haze that is. But long story short was my father and i drank alot. from what i can accurtly cout was 1 bottle of wine, 1 bottle of scotch, 1 bottle of crown royal and 1 bottle of brandy lol. So clearly liquid courage took over and im very happy it did. i left my parents early this morning but i got back to my place and wrote my dad an email to further explain my situation to him. BTW he took the news amazingly well. i asked him if he was dissapointed and he said the only thing he was disspointed about is that it took me this long to tell him. But heres my email.

Pop,

Honestly where do i start. For me the hardest part is done. I never would have thought in a million years id be having this conversation with you. I guess the best place to start would be to honestly tell you how i feel. When i told you over the years that i had a growing a disdain for you i wasn't lying. Take a breath and relax because now that disdain is gone. However every fight, every argument, every time Ive been angry it was because of this secret. Ive become so angry over the years that holding this has turned my blood into poison. over the years Ive become more disenchanted and our relationship has become strained. You may have never notice but i felt that there was a growing abyss between you and i that no matter how hard i tried to reconnect or fix it i couldn't, i couldn't fix it because the underlying problem could never be said, or so i thought. Ive been holding this in for 20 years and every day that passes i die a little bit more inside. My biggest fear was i never wanted to disappoint you. Out of all the people in this world you are the one i hold in my highest regards. I love you and respect you so much i was ready and willing to live a long and unhappy life just so i would never have to break your heart. All my life i have been struggling with this part of myself. No matter how hard i fought it, it was inevitably going to kill me if i didn't let it out. I would be lying if told that the thought of killing myself never crossed my mind. At some points i literally thought that it may just be better for you to have a dead son than a gay one. I felt as if i had a chained up anchor around my neck and that it was dragging me to the bottom of the ocean and no matter how hard i fought, no matter how much Ive struggled that i could not get to the surface and breathe. Ive always put this family first and i always will. We have such a respected reputation for the people we are that i didn't want to tarnish it in any way. You never knew this but many nights id just cry myself to sleep because i had absolutely no one to talk to and i never felt more alone and lost in my life. Over the years i started distancing myself from you because i thought eventually when i told you this that we would have a falling out. Your so old school that last night when i told you i thought i was going to have to shoot my way out. The horror story's Ive heard of parents not only not accepting their children but also disowning them. Like i told you i was mentally prepared to deal with any negative consequences. As i told you i was ready to tell you that i was not looking for your approval and that i was going to give you an ultimatum instead. Fortunately i didn't have to deliver a speech Ive been rehearsing in my head since i was a kid. Your response was more than i ever thought would happen. I realized how blessed i am to have you as my father.

Now that i have for once told you how i really feel, ill tell you the rest. Ive always known i was different. I could have not asked for a better up bringing and i want you to know that it wasn't anything that you and mom did or didn't do that made me like this. I honestly could have not asked for better parents. Like i told you last night that this is not a choice or a lifestyle. To me its just life. To me me its just as natural as breathing. In all actuality its such a small portion of who i am but at the same time it is a very important portion of who i am. As my brother always tells me "the heart wants what the heart wants." I cant help who i develop feelings for or who i fall for. Now this in no way means I'm going to change. I'm still the dude that you raised. I'm still the same person and man that i was before had this conversation. You will never have to worry about me running around in purple spandex waving a rainbow flag or any of that kind of bull shit. I'm still the conservative man that you raised me to be. Now i know you and mom are more religious than i am since i am not religious at all. However do not worry about me that I'm going to hell or anything like that. But trust me if i do go to hell its not because this, i have whole laundry list of things that would put me there before this hahaha. Last night i mention i was thinking about moving to Virgina, it wasn't because i actually want to move there. The reason i said that was because before i could muster up the courage to tell you about myself i figured if i ran away and put distance between us that we would never have this conversation. The whole point was me still trying to hide and to flat our run from my problems. Also all the bullshit that spews out of my mouth like "you don't know me" or that "we are different people and have nothing in common" yea all that bullshit was just a ploy because i was angry. All of my anger has stemmed from this. you know exactly the person that i am.

You also asked me if i was sure. Yes i am sure! as sure as can be. Like i said i have slept with 20 different women over the years and can honestly say that i flat out just did not care for them at all. I told you the story of how i figured it out. When i was in NYC on my last night there with the guys, we all kind of went are separate ways and disappeared into the city. At this point in my life i needed to know. It was destroying me inside. So i snuck off to a bar and chatted up a nice guy. I explained my situation to him and he said it was very tough for him to figure it out as well. And as gay is this sounds he kissed me. yea you read that right. But that's what gay people do. But anyways when he did my heart sank in my stomach because in an instant and entire lifetime spent of having a back in forth internal battle was settled and when my fist thought was "FUCK!!!! What the fuck do i do now" I hope this isn't all too much for you. I'm really just trying to give you enough information so you know whats going on.

Well now that you know what has finally been eating me up for all these years i really would like to move forward from here. You were my biggest hurdle and I'm glad i could finally tell you. I don't plan on telling anyone else but at least now i have an outlet and someone to talk to. unfortunately for me my personal and professional life are intertwined so i cant tell any of my friends. I do apologize for never being able to give you grandchildren but I'm sure your other 2 boys are more than capable of doing so. ill never be able to give you a daughter in-law but maybe one day i can bring somebody home that you will be just as proud of. I hope all of this isn't to much for you to process, i do however understand that it is new information that you will need time to process which i completely understand. Ill be having dinner at gehrets tonight so i will not be able to talk about this. however i would like to hear your response to this email in a written format. That means email me back.

Sincerely your son

2. Renge

i'm crying :'( your e-mail is so touching. What did he reply?

3. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm so proud of you, that took a lot of guts! (*hug*) Your dad is a really great guy.. That's probably a lot for him to take in.. I was totally tearing up when I was reading it.... I can't believe u came out to him!!!!!! Your definitely an inspiration to me.:icon_bigg

4. Draco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks bud. it was a pretty emotional moment when finally he asked me the right question and i was brave (DRUNK) enough to just lay it all out there. we covered alot of information but i sent him the email because i wanted him to be able to take in the information while he was sober. His email response was very supportive just like his response last night.

5. CinePhys

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Standing ovation. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

What did he reply! Unless you don't want to share it, which is fine :dry: :grin:

6. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm still in shock.... Damn you, now if I see this guy on Friday all I'm going to be thinking is do if for Draco, gotta impress him with an awesome story...now im going to have to ask this guy to make out after I ask for his number lol

7. Draco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    hahaha i like that. now im going to want to hear a juciy awesome story. i better read on saturday morning that " hey cant talk long, hes making me breakfast" lol :lol::roflmao:

8. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hahahhahahah oh man would that be awesome!!!!! If that happened I'd change my avatar to a pic of me making out with him lol

9. Draco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I really hope it works out for you. Your picking him up at a straight bar right? Isnt he in question?

10. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah its a straight bar, he is definitely in question.... All honesty, this guy walked in a room at a party when he was drunk and tried hooking up with another guy, telling him come on its alright
    And my friend who told me this also was describing the guy as always being shy and quiet...I'm tempted to drive to the bar just so I can ask him to come outside to my truck to smoke a lil pot and see where things go

11. PeteNJ

Awesome -- fantastic... Your Dad's got your back!

12. Draco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That sounds like a legit reason to think Someone is gay. I'd say ask for his number man. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm excited to see what happens for you.

13. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your dad! It's absolutely fantastic that your dad is supportive and is there for you. :slight_smile:

14. Pat

Pat

Sounds so much like me. I need to tell my bro. It's a similar situation. Respect and admiration for him like a father figure is holding me back. :/ I'll get there one day with him, when the time is right I suppose. It does fester and build up.. but this feeling with him is different, I'm at peace without him knowing, or so I think. This definitely helps, glad you took the time to post it!

15. Akatosh

Draco, I read your post about telling your best friend's brother (also your bestie), and now this! This is great stuff! I like the par in your email discussing your conservativeness, because I'm naturally conservative due to my upbringing too, and I don't care to shed that to 'fit in' with the stereotype of an across-the-board liberal gay community.

Unfortunately, but gratefully, there is no such thing as liquid courage for me. My secret caused me to nearly drink myself to death (3 years sober on New Years!!!!!), and I plan on writing a letter to say all te things I need to say to my parents (separate letters for each) - father first. Your email hits many points I plan on including. Thanks for including that email in your post, it is very inspiring.

On the issue of grandchildren: I've always wanted children, and have suffered much depression from the fact that I will not have my own with a wife. I researched a lot about surrogate services to remedy this, and it is very realizable. It may be pricy, but in the long run, the relative cost across the child's lifetime is just a drop in the bucket. I wouldn't completely rule out children, unless you, in fact, do not want your own.

On the issue of professional life: I'm an engineering student soon to graduate (may 2013), and I am petrified to enter such a conservative workforce. I may be wrong on the conservative nature of my profession, but knowing the personality types of those in engineering, most closeted individuals will stay closeted and get married hetero-ly (new word). Do you ever plan on coming out to the world? Or, are you planning on keeping your two lives separate? I know the pros of fitting in with a workforce for working your way up, but do you see this as hurting yourself? I plan on starting my own company one day, and at that point I know I won't give a flip. Until then, I'm unsure of how to handle the situation.

I came out to my best friend & roommate two days ago, and am ready to tell my parents. I want to show them that I am not a stereotype, and there is no reason to believe all the things religion and society has taught them about the gay community. I want them to rethink what it means to have a relationship, and that love is where you find it. I want to marry a man, and I want their full support. They verbalize their disdain for gay marriage. I want them to choke (in a good, non violent way) on those words, so that they may shape others' views. I want equality and love for everyone, dammit!!!