1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sort of Coming Out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by bleep, Feb 24, 2008.

1. bleep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    All right, so I don't really consider this a coming out per se, but I figured I wanted to share it with you all anyway.

So, we are doing autobiographies in English and, as an assessment piece, we all had to write an autobiography about ourselves (of course, by "autobiography" they really mean "real personal recount" because the structure isn't that of an autobiography at all, but I digress) focusing on one significant event in our lives. After several attempts with other issues and events and such, I just couldn't write anything significantly poignant that I was happy with. Thus, I figured I would have to at least try coming out to my friend and see if that sounded good -- even if I didn't hand it in.

Well, it turned out to be the best I could write. I was happy with it. After some nudging from my friend (she really wants to see me out of the closet, that one) I handed it in to my teacher for drafting. I was really worried about what she's say, but she just sort of handed it back and was all professional about it, which was good. I had a really stressful afternoon, picturing myself going to get the draft and she'd have a counsellor there or something, but it didn't happen, so all was well and it looks like I panicked for nothing.

What I'm really happy with is that it's kind of focused me a bit, and now that I've written it and handed it in and all I feel like I have enough strength to come out to another of my friends soon. Like, I can use this as a springboard to tell others. I don't know; I'm hoping so.

2. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

Good luck buddy :slight_smile:

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    This was the best because you wrote with your heart and soul. Congratulations. It was courageous and hopefully will give you strength in the future!

4. biisme

yay!!!!! that's great.

5. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Well done! I did a similar thing in my mock GCSE English exam. I decided beforehand that in the narrative writing section I would write about the time I came out to my parents. I wrote it slightly obliquely, so that it wasn't obvious exactly that I was coming out, but I think that to anyone perceptive it should have been obvious. I can't wait to see what my teacher thinks...

I agree with Becky that this kind of story is the best. You really put your feelings into it.