1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And my third.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Joey4, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Joey4

When I told my first two stories, I said that I didn't feel like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders like I was hoping and someone that responded to my stories said "by the third and fourth person, you'll start to get that feeling."

I would like to apologize to that person. I didn't believe you, but tonight I told my third person and it really felt fantastic. This is the first of the three that wanted to sit and talk about it.

Let me say that this was the best New Years I've ever had. We went to see Louie CK in Baltimore and he ran the stand up an extra 30 minutes just so he could ring in the new year with us. Then my buddy and I met some friends at a bar and had a great time.

Most importantly, though, my friend told me that me coming out to him meant more to him than it did me because of how he'd been down on himself a lot lately and that it's nice to see that other people battle with personal demons too.

That's it, really.

Happy New Year.

2. Night Rain

Congratulations, mate! Mind telling us a bit more about your conversation with your friend? I've come out to 6 people and to this day I still feel frustrated.

3. Joey4

You still feel frustrated because you're not getting the satisfaction of getting that weight lifted?

My buddy and I were on our way up to Baltimore, which from our house takes about an hour and a half. I've been meaning to tell this friend, but was just waiting for the right time. It's all about timing. He's younger and looks up to me so when he was telling me about how his self worth was low, I went ahead and shared that secret with him. I told him how much of a battle it has been and how I used to feel like shit. I know I'm not perfect, but I'm sure others see me as a problem-free and, while that's true for the most part, I think it was nice for him to know that I too struggle.

Hearing me in a vulnerable state wasn't something he was used to. I think we look at people sometimes and make ourselves believe that they must have perfect lives and we wish we could be more like them. When we find out that things aren't so perfect, it humanizes everyone included.

I think it helped too that Louie's stand up kind of touched on self image problems. It was on the way home he told me that it meant a lot to him that I told him. It was a win-win for me.

4. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, congrats! And after a Louie CK show? I'm jealous.

5. Joey4

Haha. Thanks Ethan.

I really won all the way around last night. It was easily my favorite New Years.

I know you're a Louie fan. Do me a favor and don't not see him.

6. TheDifferent13

That's qute a Ney Year's Eve you had there! Congratulations on another successful coming out man!

7. Joey4

^ Hey buddy. Thanks. You're a good friend on here.

8. Given To Fly

Congrats Joey. It'll feel even better when you get to the point where you're not even counting anymore :grin:

9. Joey4

^ Thanks bud. I look forward to it. Right now, though, I am having fun with only having a few people in on this. It'll be a little while.

10. shovelman

Congrats! and take all the time you need until you're ready :slight_smile:

11. Joey4

^ Agreed. So far with each individual, it seems to be process.

I see you're out to two friends. How's that going for you?

12. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, it is definitely process! :slight_smile:

Congratulations on coming out to another person and that it made your New Years Eve, something special and the best one you have had thus far.

It is always nice when a coming out provides the foundation for the possibility of a closer friendship and allows a friend to realize that he/she is not alone in trying to overcome issues in their lives.

Well done!

13. Joey4

^ Thanks Mirko. You always know what to say and say it well.

14. Praetor

That's great to hear!!

I'm glad you had such a good New Year's :wink:

15. Joey4

Thanks Praetor.

How bout you, bud? Made any progress yet? Feel free to PM me.

16. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats. You know I didn't get that feeling with my first either. It happened at my third actually, which were my parents, if you count the randomly discovered online cousin from Facebook. I don't think everyone gets this feeling, most seem to though.

17. Joey4

My first and second go around were good, but not fantastic like this third one was. I think it's how you feel about the person to whom you tell. Obviously you want everyone to respond positively, but I think if my first person took it poorly, I wouldn't have been as devastated as if my third person had taken it poorly.

I don't know of I chose them on purpose that way, or not.

I do know that for now, I'm telling people that I am confident will accept it. I'm building my support group basically. I anticipate by 2014 that I'll be all out.

Slow and low, baby. Slow and low.

18. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yes, people usually build up to the people most important to them, for lack of a better word. That explains alot.
    It sure did help me not to feel as crazy in that moment though, you know when you just have to tell someone or you feel like you might die from obsessing over it?

19. AlexisAnne

Congrats on this. I've been a bit busy and didn't see this thread until today. I'm so happy you reached the point where its really starting to feel great :slight_smile: I also know what you mean about it being fun to have just a few people in on it. Shared secrets are great :slight_smile: Enjoy that for a bit but trust me, the feeling you get when you realize you don't even consider it a secret anymore is amazing.

Once again though, Congrats on your progress :slight_smile:

20. jimL

That's way cool Joey. Every coming out is different. The good, the bad and the ugly. The hardest one for me was my best friend...his wife saved our relationship. Which is stronger than it has ever been. I'm thankful for that.

I hope you will continue to have GOOD coming outs in the new year. You know, it gets to a point where you have told so many people that it just doesn't matter anymore and it becomes pretty easy to talk about. And, then it gets to a point where you just realize that if someone doesn't like it, it doesn't matter. It's their problem not yours.

Happy New Year!