1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm on a roll

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by alwayslearning, Jan 2, 2013.

1. alwayslearning

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I very recently realized that I am a lesbian, and I am fully embracing it.

The very first person I told was my manager at where I work. She is a lesbian as well, and is recently engaged. I got an invite to their wedding, and I'm going to be making the floral arrangments for it, since I used to be a florist. I have to say that I consider myself very lucky to have her in my life, and if I didn't have her as a role model, it probably would have taken me much much longer to make the realization. She was so happy for me when I told her, and said that she knew that I was all along. She said "I know family when I see them". :icon_bigg

Then, shortly after, I posted it to facebook. The few friends I have on there were very supportive, and a woman whom I consider my second mom was very happy and proud of me.

So thus far, I'm on a roll. But the hardest people to tell are the ones I need to tell next.

Yeah... mom and dad.

They're long divorced, so telling them together isn't a problem. My dad is a very religious, anti-gay person, whom I have a very tentative relationship with. My mom is understanding, a little conservative when it comes to gay topics, but not nearly as bad as my dad, and she and I are very close. I am pretty sure she'll react with a simple, "oh really? well... just don't make out with your girlfriend in front of me, and I"m fine with it" and then move on.

And yet, weirdly enough, I'm much more nervous to tell my mom than I am my dad. I don't care much about what my dad thinks about anything, and it's always kind of fun to freak him out. But my mom is very important to me, and though I'm not really scared to tell her... I'm a bit nervous. There's no logical reason to be nervous about it, because I know she'll accept me, but I can't quite shake this feeling.

2. Shiny Espeon

I think I get why telling your mom makes you nervous. It's like me with my dad, only my issue is right in the front of my brain all the time. It's because you're scared she'll reject you somewhere deep in your subconscious. And in the unlikely event that she does, then it's her loss. You are a great person, and you have nothing to be scared of. You have people that love you for you, and that's what matters. However, I don't have any doubt that you will be accepted by your mother.

3. Ianthe

Most people have difficulty telling their parents, even if they know their parents will be accepting. The people who's opinions are the most important to us are the most difficult. It's normal.

Do you have a plan for how you want to go about it?

4. alwayslearning

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was planning on just ripping tha band-aid off: "Mom, I'm a lesbian."
    But suddenly that sounds a lot more intimidating. I'll still tell her, because she's my mom and I want her to know, I want her to be a part of my life. I'm just nervous.