1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A place to share my story

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by 2souls26, Jan 6, 2013.

1. 2souls26

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    So last week my best friend (I've known this guy FOREVER) told me he was bisexual. I'm like "ok, now what" we both come from Christian families with pretty stiff morals so yeah...

I don't want to compromise anything with my beliefs by doing a little "research" I want to be supportive but that's hard when we're across the country from each other.

I still don't know how to balance my feelings about the LGBT community and beliefs all at once.

I am simply a concerned friend.

2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well first off, I commend you for coming onto this site in the interest of being more understanding towards your friend. That means despite your upbringing, you have concerns that you'd be judging instead of supportive. Bravo! Your friend was right in opening up to you.

I am Christian and have been raised as such as well. I suppose I'm really just curious as to what your questions might be?

3. prism

He's still the same guy that you've always known. Understand that it took a lot of bravery and trust for him to come out to you. It's awesome that you're trying to figure out different ways to support him; many friends with conflicting beliefs do the opposite. The best thing you can do is be his friend and treat him as you always have. You're doing a great job so far. :slight_smile:

If you stick around this forum, you'll see that many users here are Christian as well. You can spend all day trying to align your morals with the the LGBT community, but in the end a true Christian would know that God loves all His children unconditionally.

Good luck!

4. 2souls26

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Not judging but I want to supportive with out alienate my other Christian friends. Thanks for replying. My pastor's wife called my friend "courageous" and commends me for listening.

---------- Post added 6th Jan 2013 at 07:46 PM ----------

Thank you! I hope so!

5. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is the friend who came out to you Christian? Have they told anyone else they were bisexual? Do you feel your friends would judge your friend for being bisexual? I think that he might be afraid of being alienated as well. Coming out is a very difficult and painful process, so he will definately need your support!