1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally told my friend!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by kiltrout, Jan 6, 2013.

1. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

I still can't believe I did this. Me and my best friend went down to B&N to talk. Ordered some stuff at Starbucks and I sat her down. My hands were trembling, and I finally opened my mouth. Told her that I hope things will not change between us after the following things. People were around so I took out my pocket notebook and wrote down "I'm gay.". She looked at it and said "Nothing has changed." There was silence for a minute or two. We were both somewhat in shock. I asked her if she ever wondered if I was gay and she told me "Never.". I announced to her that she is the only person that knows and that it should remain that way for some time. I asked her some advice as to if I should tell my other best friend (male), and she told me that I should. She thinks he will take it well too. We chit chatted afterwards and bought a couple of CDs. I'm still a bit in shock of what just happened. Some tremendous weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I'm glad I can finally talk with her about this. We went back to my place, spoke for a bit about photography, and then said goodbye. The car ride to my place was a bit silent and awkward, but I guess she is still in shock. She gave me a hug and told me to call her whenever. She is about to take a flight back to her college in Maine. I think it went well. Thank you EC for helping and supporting me on this announcement. One down, many to go. :icon_bigg

EDIT: After she left, I sent her a quick text message:
    "Thank you so much for being accepting. I hope this will escalate our friendship to new levels of trust. Some major weight has been lifted from my shoulders. If you have any questions or thoughts about anything, please message or call me. I'm happy we can finally discuss this in the open. Have a nice flight!
    Be well,
    M."

2. Given To Fly

Well done (*hug*)

Feels good, doesn't it? :grin:

3. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

Haven't gotten that "OMG" feeling yet. I'm still a bit in shock. I'll be probably be happier after some music therapy and reading.

4. Given To Fly

WhenI got home after coming out to my best friend, it took me a while for it to sink in. When it did, the first thought was 'that's it, no turning back now'. But that soon gave way to happiness that for the first time in my life I could be myself around at least one of my friends. :slight_smile:

5. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

I'm starting to get that no turning back feeling. Makes me feel a bit more relaxed.

6. Given To Fly

:thumbsup:

Don't forget, if you ever want to talk, you know you can always post here, or even post on my wall if you want. I'm crap at advice I must admit, but I can ramble on about random shit with the best of em lol. (*hug*)

7. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

Well, thank you! :slight_smile: I might take you up on that some day.

8. Average Joe

Hey, congratulations! It's always so nice to read a positive coming out story. I'm really happy for you. Will you be telling your other friend as well? I'm still mustering the courage to come out to one of my friends. Hope everythig goes well once I decide to go through with it.

9. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

I'm going to come out to another person at some point this week. He is my photography teacher and also gay. He has been in a relationship with a guy for the past 25 years. I KNOW he will take the news well.

I'll tell my other best friend at some point.

I'm sure everything will be fine. I think it's best to choose people who will be accepting as the first people to tell. At least for me, I want to form somewhat of a support group before I tell others.

10. Average Joe

Wow, 25 years. That's impressive. Good to have a person around you who you know will be suppportive.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been planing to do. Though I can't say I know many people who would be "safe" to come out to. I have one friend who seems like she might be okay with it, but I guess you can never be 100% sure. If I was, I think I would have told her by now. Instead, I'm still afraid it might go wrong.

11. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

I have four people who I know will be supportive. I have other friends I want to tell, but I don't trust them 100% with taking the news well even though they say they are for gay rights and are very tolerant. Sometimes straight guys just say that to sound open minded. Once you tell them, it's completely different.

12. Average Joe

Some of the straight guys I know don't even pretend to be supporters of gay rights. Quite the opposite, I'd say. But at least I know what I can expect from them.

13. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

I hang out with people who act quite open minded and liberal. Heck, they trash me for being a right of center.