1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best feeling... ever

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by akhc, Jan 9, 2013.

1. akhc

I've never had any gay role models in my early childhood life, and it was made clear early that my Christian family did not look too highly on homosexuality.

I've think ive always known i was gay. But as a child and pre-adolescent i just put that topic on the backburner... hoping desperately that its just a phase and i will grow up and marry a beautiful woman and have kids and make my parents proud.

All that ended during my eleventh grade in high school when i couldn't hide my feelings anymore and it tortured me that no one knew this about me. I spent countless evenings walking around the neighborhood alone just trying to clear my head and think on my problems. It soon hit me that this problem would never go away and truthfully, i was feeling worse as time went on.

So finally i decided i would tell someone. The first person i came out to was a friend that i made the past year. Truthfully i must confess that I may have used him as a guinea pig to "test the waters" of coming out. I knew he didnt have many friends and if he did decide to out me to others, no one would believe him. In the end i came out to him and I cannot express how terrible i felt for using him like this. He accepted me completely and even managed to joke around making me smile and laugh. As soon as i told him and he gave me his reaction I cannot begin to describe how good i felt. I will forever be grateful for him and his acceptance

This event gave me the courage and determination to come out to everyone i care about and gradually i came out to my parents and all my friends. I have continued to come out in university and I have never been happier.

If someone were to ask me if i could be "made straight", would i take that offer?
    4 Years ago, maybe
    But sadly this isn't an option and currently i cannot be more sure that i would say "no" to such an offer. Of course, homosexuality isn't exactly an advantage in today's society but I have to say I am proud of who I am, and even more proud that I managed to go on this journey of self-discovery and end up accepting myself and expressing it to those i love.

There is no rush to come out but I sincerely hope that everyone can come out and feel as great as i do now.

2. shovelman

Congrats! I'm really not out yet but only to my best friends and I can't wait until the day that I don't have to hide this part of me anymore but I have to get more comfortable first :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Incognito10

Congrats on having such a positive outlook on life and being content with yourself. I am slowly going through the process of coming out. Most people really don't care and are fine with it, even strengthing some relationships. People are very into their own lives, issues and just dealing with the "daily grind," so it is kind of silly to think they're going to really care and be consumed by another persons non-heterosexuality, there are a few exceptions--typically, religious extremists, but we can usually identify those people and choice to stay away from them if we want. I hope to be more "out" with people soon.