1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Outed By A Teacher?!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Lucky Oshawott, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Lucky Oshawott

So I get this call from my mum saying that my school have told her about how people make fun of me because I'm gay. Now they've set up a meeting for later today about "What to do about it". But I'm not ready for my mum, or anyone in my family, to find out yet and I just really don't know what I'm gonna say or do. Any advice would be appreciated

2. Ianthe

If you are out at school, the teacher probably didn't realize that your parents didn't know. I have had more than one friend who was a high school teacher talk to me about their gay students, and it became obvious that they assumed that because the student was out to everyone at school, that they must be out at home, too.

Did your mom seem surprised by the idea that you are gay?

3. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I'm not actually sure if there are any laws on teachers outing pupils, so it may actually be legal what the teacher did. However, morals are a different matter.

I'm afraid there's nothing you can do now, they've told her. It's a bit late to deny it seeing as you're already out to everyone but your family. You may as well use this opportunity to come out to your family.

Also, you should probably sort out this issue of people making fun of you. If it's just verbal (which it sounds like it is, and I'm hoping it is), then a pretty common and effective way is to take the power away. Verbal bullies generally feel pretty shit themselves, or have some form of issues going on in their lives. Instead of taking the high road, they decide to make others feel shit so they can feel superior. It's pretty much how racism started, but taken way beyond verbal abuse. If you don't give them any satisfaction, they won't feel superior and will eventually leave you alone. Generally the most effective way to accomplish this is to act like you really don't care, I.E responses like "finished?" "don't care" "not interested" "write the rest down and I'll get back to you when I start caring" followed up by walking away. If it is physical bullying then I wouldn't advise the above, but hopefully it is verbal and this can help you some :slight_smile:

Feel free to message me if you'd like some more advice, you shouldn't let the bullying continue though, nobody deserves it.

All the best.

4. Lucky Oshawott

Thanks for all the 5vice guys, but I'm really not sure I can go through telling family right now. I mean, that's probably the hardest part for some people and I always hear homophobic things around the house which is pretty degrading. I'm not sure how people would react and that's why I haven't said anything yet

5. Given To Fly

How did the call from your mum go? Was it accusatory? Quizzical? Curious? Supportive?

I feel for you over the bullying - I suffered it most of my time at school, although it wasan't over my sexuality - I managed to avoid that somehow... (*hug*)

6. Lucky Oshawott

Well on the phone she was just angry at the thought that it was happening but I tried to say it was just this one stupid thing that happened when I got pissed at someone and the school have blown it completely out of proportion. But I was made to write a statement before about things people have said (Which I didn't want to do and was told would be completely confidential) But I don't want them to show that to her, which they probably will

7. Given To Fly

Is she more likely to be angry at you for being gay, or the bullies for bullying you?
    Also are you going to have a chance to collar your teacher before the meeting so you can explain things? I'm sure he/she wouldn't want to cause you any trouble at home, but they are also going to want to help you stop the bullying.

8. Lucky Oshawott

Well I'm currently at my sister and her boyfriend's house and they're getting my mum to meet me here so that we can go to the school, which is 2 minutes away, so I might not get a chance to say anything before we get there, which is worrying

9. Given To Fly

Not sure what to suggest. As far as the school is concerned, it makes no difference whether you are gay or not - the issue is the bullying - and it may not necessarily be treated any different to any other kind of insult, if that makes sense. But I would imagine you can expect some questions afterward, regardless of how the school treat it.

Sorry, I'm probably not helping...

10. Lucky Oshawott

No, you've helped a lot by far and thanks for everything you've said. I'll just have to see how it goes I guess

11. Given To Fly

Good luck - and I hope that regardless of how it goes with your mum, they can sort out the bullying issue - believe me I know how horrible it is to be on the receiving end.

Yu never know, she might just turn out to be your biggest supporter after seeing what you put up with.

(*hug*)

12. suninthesky

Keep us posted? I hope everything will be okay!

13. Lucky Oshawott

Well, today went totally unplanned. After getting to my school, my head of year said that he wanted a separate meeting with my mum whilst I saw some counselor. The counselor said that my head of year was most likely going to accidentally out me to her when I told him that she didn't know. Since then, I haven't seen her and she's most likely going to be home in around an hour. To be honest, I'd rather we didn't talk about it but I don't know what she'e going to do

14. Given To Fly

Well, what's done is done - there is no point fretting. How did the talk with the counsellor go? Can you see things improving at school?

15. Lucky Oshawott

Well the counselor said that he's going to research different ways to 'help me' but I guess it's true that I can't change what's already happened

16. Given To Fly

I hope those ways to help you he's looking for are ways of bringing the bullies into line...

17. Lucky Oshawott

18. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, I'm sorry that your school outed you. They most likely did not realize that you weren't out to your parents. I hope that your mom is understanding. I also hope that the school can do something about the bullies.

19. Lucky Oshawott

Thanks to everyone for the support and advice.It's nice to know that there are people out there who are kind and helpful to others

20. Given To Fly

Hey that's what we're here for. We might not be there physically, but you can come to us anytime. (*hug*)

Have you spoken to your mum yet? How did it go?

Fingers crossed for you :slight_smile: