1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my dad the other night

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Tiny Catastrophe, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Tiny Catastrophe

So for a while I've been nervous to completely come out to my dad because of the way he mocked me when I told him I was bi 4 years ago. Well the other night things got bad at my house so I called my dad looking for a safe haven so to speak and I ended up going there for the night. We were having a heart to heart about everything (there were a lot of unresolved issues and things) because I wanted the close relationship I had with him when I was younger. So I felt like then would be a good time to tell him about myself and about my relationship with my girlfriend (we have been together over a year and are very serious). His response was actually really surprising. I basically said that I'm with my girlfriend (who I had always just told him was my best friend because she had been at the time he met her) and that it's serious and that's the way I am (he got the hint I meant gay). His response was "I know. How stupid do you think I am? I've known you've been with *my gf's name* for a long time." and I asked him how he knew and he said he could tell. I asked him why he didn't say anything before and he said he figured I would tell him when I was ready. And he didn't laugh or make any mean comments like he did years ago. So all in all I would say it was a success :icon_bigg

2. FrankieUK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oooh this is just brilliant, doesn't it feel like a weight has been lifted. My family were the same when i came out and they already knew and i was like how did you know?!. Must of been the campness haha, well done on being brave and GL in the future <3

3. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    Glad it went so well! People are always saying that mother's know when their children are gay. I think fathers usually know too :slight_smile:

4. ohthecuriousity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Aw, that's great to hear. This actually made me smile. You should feel so happy :slight_smile:

5. JustARaconteur

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's great. Glad to hear the second go round went much better for you.

6. Iamnotashamed

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    so glad it went well for you! Your lucky to have such a great day that loves you! :icon_bigg

7. angella

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    hmmmm how i wish i can break the new someday

8. Gallatin

I'm glad it went well. :slight_smile:

9. Acobi

Acobi Guest

That is awesome! You have a great Dad. Your experience gives me hope for when I cross that bridge in the future.