1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you tell your parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by JillandJill, Jan 14, 2013.

1. JillandJill

How did you come out to your parents? I have no problem with them knowing but the confrontation of actually telling them is so scary!

2. theskywreck

Haha, had the same problem here. My parents are quite open-minded people, but I was scared anyway.

My mother was reading in her bed one night. My father wasn't home. So my plan was to knock on her door, march in, and tell her that I was a lesbian. It turns out I lingered at her door for ten minutes before finally gathering the balls to knock. Don't make that mistake. I think that telling them one at a time is easier, but I don't really know why. Anyway, I memorized a quick little speech, told her, answered her question, and left.

My dad was a different story. After having a major anxiety attack in school months later, he picked me up and drove me home. He asked me what was up. So at first, I told him that I "don't like boys, I like girls" (in those exact words but in French), and a few minutes later told him about my "gender issues". He kind of forced me out of two different closets, but it was then or never.

I told my mother about these "gender issues" about a month after that. I have to do physiotherapy, and I was just beginning, so she was helping me remember the exercises I have to do. After I was done, she just downright asked me. It made it kind of easier.

I suggest using the method of isolating one parent at a time, unless you can't do two different "coming outs". Or, if you like writing, leave them a note someplace. This works well with older siblings in my opinion.

Good luck. :slight_smile:

3. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I still remember it clearly!! It was Halloween 2012!

I was riding home on the bus and got an overwhelming feeling to tell my mom. I told myself I would call her when I got home and I did. I asked her if we could meet up and said "I have something important to tell you, don't let me forget!" And she wanted to know what it was, but I told her I wanted to tell her in person. So we met up and my heart was pounding, we sat down and I said something like" Okay, so you know how's there's different types of people in this world? Some people like men and some people like women? Well I think i'm one of those people." And she looked at me and said, "That's okay." We both started bawling and hugged each other and talked for a while after.

It went so well, I decided to come out to my dad that night, so my mom came downstairs and I said I had something to say and told him something like, "Dad, I don't think I'm 100 percent straight." He didn't really say much, but after that I felt a gazillion times better!

Good luck!

And I agree with theskywreck, I think it was easier for me to come out to my dad knowing that my mom knew already and accepted me. :slight_smile:

4. unbreakable

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My brother told my parents lol

5. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    I went out to lunch with my lesbian friend. When I came home my mom had gone through my computer and found EC. She had also found my online dating account. Ugh! The ironic thing is that I was planning on telling her when I got home from lunch. She was accepting though. Then, before I could tell my dad, my mom told him. The next day he asked me about it and I admitted that it was true. He just wanted to know if I was sure. He was also accepting.

#5 wilted, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  6. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

I gave a letter to my dad and step-mom (they took it very well).
    I called my mom on the phone to tell her (she didnt take it as well)

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here is the thread that I posted after coming out to my mom. (I can't believe that it was over a year ago now...)

I told my mom at 1:11am during the commercial break of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. I told her the night before I went to school. This was when I still thought that I was bi. My mom told my dad because I told her she could tell people.

8. Niko

My coming out was really incredibly awkward. I didn't really plan on doing except I was practically pushed in a corner with all sorts of questions. They were asking questions such as; I felt like a freak? Why don't I put on make-up to attract more guys? Um, then my sister proceeded to ask why did I always support my friend's transboyfriend and get so defensive? Why don't I believe that if you have a vagina then you're a girl and if you have a penis that you're a boy, there's nothing more to that, and yet I say there is? Just stuff like that and those are the ones I can remember.

So with all of those questions crashing down on me, I broke down in tears and told them that it was because I was no different than my friend's transboyfriend. All in all they took it pretty well, but I still think they're in denial.