1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out, all over the bedspread...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Niqk, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Jk, just kidding :lol:

As some of you know, I came out, via messaging to a friend of mine, whom I'm developing strong feelings for, but I told him because he was gay and he would know what that feels like and therefore unlikely to judge.

This time I came out to someone else, a counselor. Actually two counselors, first I emailed one I've been in contact with and she told me to have an intake session with another counselor so she can show me around and tell me about the procedure, and I talked for the first time about being homosexual.

Bear in mind that I never met this woman before. Ever.
    Boy, admitting it was tough. It felt weird, rather surreal and I was rather wobbly on my legs but fortunately I was sitting down. How am I supposed to talk to a friend, or worse both my parents about something which made me super-awkward in front of someone I don't even know and who shouldn't be judging me?

2. aspiecarer

It just makes me wonder about what seems to be an American 'obsession' with 'councilling' and 'therapy'.
    I would have thought it's better first to come out to people you know..there is nothing wrong with you, which to me ..as European..seeing a councillor implies...

3. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What does it imply?

Reality check, already told someone I know. And we're even going out soon :icon_bigg

4. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    That's wonderful that you were able to come out to your counselor before you even met her in person! It took me months to come out to my therapist.

*Also, excellent title for this post! It made my morning :roflmao:

5. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah thought it would be corny.

Judging by the number of views in proportion to posts, people were not impressed :smilewave

6. Colours

I think you read the sentence wrong, he meant that to him, being European, seeing a counselor implies that there's something wrong with you.

But hey, good job :slight_smile: You just got so nervous because you're still new to the whole coming out thing, whether it is someone you know or not.

7. Eletricalmonkss

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Coming out to a therapist/teacher/counselor is actually quite a scary thing to do for anyone of any sexuality. It takes balls and well they can help you align to the right people which in the end will make you feel more comfortable outside of the "closet"

8. Rlyon7187

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's so hard that's for sure but, the more you practice saying it to other people the easier it will get, you will feel better and feel free! Kinda like a snow ball effect lol your doing great! :grin:

9. RainbowMan

It was very difficult for me to come out to my therapist - I prepared for *days* for the session. But I did it in the first session!

He's the only one that I'm out to, but I don't think that seeing a therapist implies that there's anything wrong with you - just that you have the self-awareness that you can't deal with certain issues on your own, and therefore need some extra help, someone to bounce ideas off of, someone to just listen who's not going to judge you for being who you are.

I just can't bring myself to tell anyone else, but we're working on it! I'm seeing him twice a week instead of the normal once per week if that tells you anything about how intense it is.....

10. Vesper

I agree with this statement. Seeing a therapist, even if it's just for opportunities to unload some emotional baggage, are perfectly fine, if it serves the purpose of relieving some pent-up rage or sadness that may be causing mental health issues like depression or anxiety.

Many therapists actually take a holistic approach in their practice, and seek not just the resolution of mental health issues but the overall improvement of a person's well-being (whether it be through meditation, yoga, exercise, or something else). One just has to bear in mind that paying $100+ per hour may not be worth it if the holistic approach isn't your cup of tea.

The only therapist I'd ever had and among the first people I came out to was a lesbian. We had a good laugh over that coincidence (though I've since figured out that I'm really not a lesbian) and talked at length about what it's like to be one. Sadly, as I don't have insurance, seeing her would be too expensive right now; she has got to make a living, after all.

#10 Vesper, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  11. Bree

Everybody here goes to counseling when they can. It's not "therapy" so to speak, or even the definition of the word "counseling". Most of us go to have someone to talk to that will sit there and listen to all of our problems, and give us the opportunity to figure out what to do.
    ...I started going to one regularly after my mom said that it was too emotionally draining for her to be my primary confidant.

Congrats on telling her! Deep secrets in the first session, that's tough. Best of luck!