1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I told my best friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by wandering i, Jan 18, 2013.

1. wandering i

It was difficult to do because he has ended up in relationships with formerly platonic friends who transitioned and then became romantic, and those experiences have turned out badly for him... I have known about this and helped him through one of those times. So it was very hard to admit I may be trans as I knew his first thought was of the safety of our friendship and maybe even fear that the past would repeat. He means the world to me and I love him, and his support and companionship is very important. I think we consider each other closer than anyone else in our lives. I told him I wouldn't compromise that for pursuing a physical or romantic relationship.

But after I told him, I couldn't help but worry that he will see me differently now or think he needs to treat me differently. I wanted to ask him to tell me everything's going to be the same, to give me reassurance...
    But I decided that was too much to ask right away. So for now it's probably best not to think too hard about it and if it gets brought up again, to deal with that then.
    I'm lucky that my best friend is supportive and understanding of trans people, even if things have been tough on him in the past. I hope it won't be hard or awkward for him if I do go through counseling and find transitioning is best for me.
    I hope we can both come through whatever happens okay.

2. returning

Congratulations on coming out. If he's truly a good friend, he won't treat you differently and he will support you through any life changes.

3. wandering i

I know it, and he is. I just hope it doesn't get weird for either of us. Thanks :slight_smile:

4. returning

No problem