1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do gay jokes piss you off?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Imsgaaron, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Imsgaaron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    OK, it seems that someone around me is telling a gay joke every 5 minutes. Literally my cousin is making fun of gay people while I am typing this. I hear this shit everyday. I am still in the closet, by the way, so no one around me knows that I'm gay. Do people tell gay jokes around you, even of they know about your sexuality or not? And does it piss you off or do you just disregard it? Just wondering

2. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    They make gay jokes but I am out too.
    Then again..I make gay jokes too. You should always be able to laugh at yourself

3. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The biggest misconception about straight people constantly making gay jokes is "that they hate gay people". It's not really always the case.

My friends were like that before I was out to them. Now they still make gay jokes, but they direct them towards me in a tasteful way. Afterwards we all hug and have fun. n_n

4. i need help

i love all kind of jokes. if its a good joke it will make me laugh. but people have different triggers. to answer your question. no, they done make me mad.

5. Given To Fly

It depends on the joke. If it's genuinely witty and funny, I'll laugh. I suppose it also depends on who's making the joke too...

6. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm fine with gay jokes as long as they are not meant to hurt someone's feelings.

7. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Yeah I love gay jokes I think they're funny :slight_smile: you need to relax a bit. No matter what you are, there will ALWAYS be jokes about some label you have. If you get mad every time it happens then you're going to spend a large amount of your life being mad. It's a joke, it's not meant to be taken literally :slight_smile:

All the best.

8. Kay

Kay Guest

I never minded a good LGBTQ joke. I find most pretty funny. That being said, in the light of political correctness in speech there are words that cause trouble. If one group is protected by this than all groups should be protected.

9. Imsgaaron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    oh the gay jokes arent just "jokes" i should have pointed that out... they're more like comments making fun of gay people

10. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Give us an example of one, otherwise we won't be entirely sure on how we would feel.

11. Mikeysaur

Mikeysaur Guest

For me, it depends on the person and the joke. If it's someone that I know and who I'm friends with, it doesn't bother me. But any joke with the word "faggot" in it doesn't humor me at all. If I know the person means no harm, I'm not bothered.. I just can't laugh with them.

12. Imsgaaron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ok sorry i guess jokes wasn't the right word for it. They make some funny jokes about it but mostly very distasteful things like all fags go to hell and shit like that. my family also talks about gay people constantly in very negative ways... they aren't witty at all just distasteful and degrading

13. UnidentifiedOwl

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Nope. A lot of people like provocative humour. I have a friend who makes gay jokes all the time, some of them pretty extreme. But everyone who knows him is well aware that both his sister and one of his friends (me) are gay and that it doesn't bother him in the least. He once tried to set me up with a boy but I ran away...

Although, if someone jokes with an obvious homophobic tone, of course it would bother me.

14. Mikeysaur

Mikeysaur Guest

Oh, then no. I don't think any of us finds these things humorous, other than the ignorance of the small minded people that say it. :confused:

15. CinePhys

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find gay jokes (and pretty much any jokes - Because it's a 'joke') funny.
    I'm the type that would rather have jokes said than none at all. I tell gay jokes, my black mates tell black jokes and my white mates tell white jokes. Where I live, it's all very relaxed and not much thought is given about being 'PC' :wink:

16. Lewis

What does a gay horse eat? HAAAAAAY!

That one gets me every time, if delivered properly.

A joke is a joke, there's jokes about all kinds of people. They're harmless.

17. FunnyMonkey

I really don't care about it I make them.
    If you don't like gay joke then you really can't like any other kind of group joke ex Jew blond polish etc.

18. Imsgaaron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    well, there are a lot of gay jokes that I do think are hilarious. But the degrading and hateful ones really piss me off. I guess a lot of it comes from me not being openly gay, and how everyone around me would react if they knew. I know it's not healthy to be offended by gay jokes in general. Anyway, thanks everyone for your input.

19. Dalmatian

If they are jokes, it's perfectly ok. It depends on the person telling the joke, commenting and so on. For example, when one of my friends calls me directly and blatantly a faggot (actually a much worse sounding Croatian word) I sincerely laugh because it's never meant in a bad way :slight_smile: On the other hand, some people can piss me off with "gays should be able to marry" or something like that just because I know what they really think or the way they say it and so on. Depends.

But jokes are generally ok. The haaaaaay one really got me laughing now, I'll share that one on :slight_smile:

20. Oddish

Oddish Guest

That made me laugh out loud oh man.

Gay jokes can be funny depending on the context of it.