1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just told best christian friend and she was awesome!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Asari, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so a few days ago I made a post saying I wanted to come out to my best friends at college because we have been talking about getting a house together. The difficult thing is that they are all really christian. I'm really christian too so most people assume I'm straight. I went over my friends house today cause I really wanted to come out to her (been wanting to for a while) After a few hours of hanging out Her and some friends were talking about a ministry that's starting. We were all getting really excited about the ministry and I said something like. "How bout we make sure gays feel welcome?" Surprisingly everyone agreed. After I was sure she was comfortable I asked if I could speak to her alone. I started to cry and told her I was gay and asked if she still wanted to room with me. She gave me a big hug and said "of course!! And I don't think any less of you!"

I can't believe my friend was sooo accepting. I thought it was going to be horrible.

the only problem is that one of the friends I'm going to live with is insanely judgmental. One time she roomed with a gay girl at youth camp and she said, "I'm glad I didn't know when I roomed with her." If she can't even sleep in the same room with someone who is gay how can she share a house with me?

2. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm so happy for you! My best friend who I am hoping to come out to is also "Very Christian" and I have just been making sure lately that she will be accepting. I think it will surprise her, but I'm sure she will come to understand. And concerning the judgmental girl (I know sooo many people like that) at least now you have the support of your best friend, and if your lucky the subject won't ever even have to be brought up.

Best Wishes!

3. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you! I kind of want to be out to everybody. At least all my friends so I think I'm going to have to tell her eventually. Good luck with your friend. I am sure if your friend cares about you she won't care that much. Most of my friends are very christian but they don't really care cause they know I am the same person. I'm so surprised how positive most of the reactions have been. I mean I used to be really involved in the church so this should be a scandal.

4. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I bet it does seem scandalous sometimes, I know it isn't what I would be expecting!

I get what you mean though, it might be a problem with the Judgemental girl ((jg for now) if you come out to everyone. On the premises that she isn't accepting, I wouldn't be bothered considering the success with you other friends. I hope all goes well! (One of these days I think I will just yell to the world I'm gay, it would feel great)