1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watched a Movie With Mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Emberblaze, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Emberblaze

So, last night, my mom asked me if I wanted to have a movie night. Since I came out to her a few weeks ago, I could tell she was kinda bothered by something, so, in an attempt to bring attention to the elephant in the room, I thought to myself "maybe i should pull up a gay movie."

And last night, i made a thread in the entertainment section requesting some good family oriented gay movies (with the exclusion of prayers for bobby cuz it sounnds MUCH too sad!), and finally, no thanks to you late posters on EC (heh, just kiddin guys) I finally decided to narrow it down to Make the Yuletide Gay or You Should Meet My Son, and ended up going with the former.

So, while we were watching it and at the beginning it shows the two guys characters holding hands, I just had to turn to my mom and say YES, it's THIS kinda movie.

But all and all, she enjoyed it, and it was a subtle enough gay movie for her to handle and it was really great to be able to watch it with my mom (and if you haven't watched make the yuletide gay yet, then stop whatever you're doing in your meaningless life and WATCH it!!!)

Ahem, so after the movie, we talked about it more often,, and honestly, my mom's just had a lot of misconceptions about gays. Ya know, she kinda thought that the MAJORITY are kinda sex crazed maniacs that don't care about guys for nothing but their bodies. But I reassured her about it and told her that I've got standards and stuff, yadda yadda.

And then, what her REAL fear had been the whole time was, she's been afraid that I'm gonna get gay bashed, bullied, or worse. You hear it on the news, you read it on the papers, you see it on the internet, so I can see why she'd be worried for me. I told her though if anyone ever gives me the slightest amount of trouble about it, I'll take it with upmost caution, and reassured her the best I can.

So, after that, we started talking about me having kids, and I was telling her how I wanted to adopt or surrogate a little girl and name her Aeris and all that yadda and we started talking about general stuff like that.

So, it was nice. Feels like I came out to her all over again, except this time, everything that needed to be said was said. And for the first time, I've opened up to my mom, to ANYONE. I've never told anyone exactly how I'm feeling.

It feels nice. ^^

2. suninthesky

Loved reading that. Sounds like you and your mom have a really good relationship!

3. Incognito10

This is very sweet. It really made me smile :slight_smile:

4. Emberblaze

Heh, well, we have a better one now. Im glad for it ^^

5. returning

Congratulations!

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That takes some courage to throw a gay movie at her. But it sounds like it was totally the right move, and that it really brought you closer together. Congratulations! I'm sure it was just as beneficial for her as it was for you.

7. Average Joe

Actually, your mum must be pretty tolerant to have watched Make the Yuletide Gay with all its sexual innuendos and enjoyed it as much as you said she did. I can't imagine showing it to my parents. I'd rather go with the aforementioned Prayers for Bobby and the strong message it carries. But then again, each has their own approach to the matter.

Anyway, nice to hear it all went so good for you. Cheers!

8. Emberblaze

Heh, yeah it was a stretch to get past all the sex jokes. Honestly, I found it kinda unnerving that she understood some of em...

Lols, but she enjoyed it. And it was the most "family oriented" lgbt movie I have. Heh, but like I aid, Prayers for Bobby sounds like a heartwarming, yet sad movie, and I didn't wanna start her off with a tear jerker, especially since one of her fears was I may have struggled with suicide when trying to come to terms with my sexuality, but I assured her the thought never crossed my mind

9. MysticalFantasy

Out Status:
    Some people
    Ngawwwwww you lucky duckling. If every gay and lesbian had a mother like yours, understanding and caring the world would be a better place.

God bless your mothers soul, as well as yours.

10. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great! I could never watch something like that with my family... especially with my dad's sense of humour. X__X

Also, Aeris is a great name for a kid. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. shovelman

I could see my self watching and enjoying a gay themed movie with my mom but the thought of watching one with my dad would just be out of the question :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Emberblaze

Thanks ^^ There are so many girl names that I can't decide on, so, I went with the first name Id ever wanted to name a daughter ^^

13. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    Congrats! Sounds like you had a great bonding moment with your mom :slight_smile:

14. Emberblaze

I sure did! now, next time I go to florida to see my dad and step mom, me and my step bro gonna bake a rainbow cake with "I'm GAAAAAAAAY!" written on it in cake-ink ^^

Heh, my dad already told me and my sis if either one of us were gay, then he'd be fine with it because he wouldn't have to worry about any pregnancies.

Heh, I have his sense of humor.

15. shovelman

That sounds like a neat idea! I would have loved to do something creative like that, perhaps I will later on :slight_smile:

16. Emberblaze

Heh, especially when i get to EAT that idea ^^

17. shovelman

LOL, well alright good luck with that and I hope your dad is just as cool about like you've mentioned :slight_smile:

18. Emberblaze

Heh, 'm certain he will be. Can't wait to bake dat cake!

19. shovelman

Take a picture and show us when you're done :slight_smile:

20. Emberblaze

You got it bud! ^^