1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New decision

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by musicgeek13, Jan 20, 2013.

1. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

So I decided that I'm not going to come out. But it's not that I'm going to be closeted either. Instead I'm going to live my life as I please without any dramatic scenes in which I reveal my sexual orientation. I never told my sister that I am gay but she knows. We haven't talked about it but I know she is cool with it. I figure that straight people don't need to make a declaration that they are straight so I am not going to make a declaration that I'm gay. I think the only way everyone is going to accept being gay as normal is if people treat it like it is normal. So no big coming out story for me.

(side note: I realize some people don't have the luxury of living in a place where this is possible but I do and I feel like making a big deal out of it when I don't have to, will just hurt the cause so yeah. No disrespect to those who do officially come out and stuff)

2. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

Good for you! That is awesome!! I never thought of it like that :slight_smile: I'm seriously blown away (no sarcasm) I'm just really impressed with the way you put it.

3. Robellious

wow haha. i didnt think you could do that but it sounds so good. I might do that as well. :slight_smile: question though, do you just say yes when someone asks if you're gay or what? but really great way of thinking like that... haha :slight_smile:

4. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

haha well it's pretty obvious in my case if you're looking for it so no one has really asked but yeah, I would say yes if someone asked. The point is just to stop looking at is as something different than straight people.

5. shovelman

I actually look at it that way but there's some exceptions and that is only for people I truly care about because I like being honest with them and they have known me for years so I kind of have to tell them so they won't be suprised later and then I'm just going to be casual about it and will answer yes if I'm asked if I'm gay.

6. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

That makes sense. I will probably eventually have to sit down with my parents/grandparents, etc. and talk to them about it but for right now, I just let people make their own assumptions. Like I tell my mom I'm not looking for a boyfriend. I don't hide the fact that I'm not into boys but I don't make a point to say I like girls either. I guess if I ever found someone that I was serious about, I would sit them down and tell them that I found someone I really love but I'm not sure if I would do the whole "Mom, Dad, I'm gay thing." It's different for everyone I guess. I just have never been one to do the whole confession thing anyway and it just doesn't seem necessary in my case.

7. shovelman

Well if it's unnecessary then why go through the trouble right? But you'll find that that's not the case for everyone which sucks so count your self lucky of you don't have to go thought that.

8. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

I know it won't be like that for everyone. I'm just saying that if at all possible it would be better to avoid it to keep it from becoming something that everyone has to do. It totally sucks not to have the luxury of not having a huge coming out moment and that's exactly why I think we should stop them if possible so, eventually no one has to come out. Not in the dramatic way that is now expected anyway

9. shovelman

We'll get there one day, hopefully :slight_smile:

10. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I really like that thought. Though it will be a big deal (for me and them) to come out to my best friend and family in the future, that is a good philosophy for everyone else :thumbsup:

11. Incognito10

This is the approach I have always taken. I never tell people, "I am gay." My mom found out when I casually said, "I am dating a guy." I know it's easier said than done, but the more casual and less emphasis you put on it, the less of a reaction you get (in my case at least). I just really try to present it in a "no big deal" manner. After all, straight people don't have to announce their straightness. And please don't think I am saying it is wrong to tell people you're gay, it's not--this has simply been my approach.