1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Started to come out!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by gayman99, Jan 21, 2013.

1. gayman99

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys! My name is [REDACTED]. I am 13 years (and 143 days) old. I am a 5' 11" tall male with blond hair and blue eyes (I wish... Their actually green!). I am not the healthiest teen in the world, but I am hoping to rectify that. I love almost anything to do with technology, math, or literature. None of this matters, though, because above all... I'm gay.

Saturday morning (It's Monday afternoon for me right now) a friend/acquaintance of mine revealed that he's gay to my Youth Group (we were at a retreat for the weekend). Seeing everybody's response and support inspired me. Before that morning, I had thought it would be YEARS before I would even consider coming out, but later that morning, I approached him and revealed that I was also gay.

He was supportive and didn't make a big deal of it, which I'm grateful for, and, with his support, I told two others who were also very supportive. I'm sure within a few hours 7-8 people knew from our conversations, I wasn't really trying to hide my position from them, since most of them are pretty good friends, and I trust them.

Coming home (It's Sunday now), I considered telling my parents. I thought it would be a good idea, but at the same time, all I could think of was all the bad scenarios that could happen. Now, I don't really know what my parents think of homosexuality. We are a Christian family, but our church is a modern one, and isn't against many things, like homosexuality. And from what I've heard, my parents aren't against it, but it's kinda hard to tell.

I started planning when I would tell them, and Googled some tips for coming out. But when the time came, I wimped out. So I waited for an hour or two untill I worked up my courage again. It was right before we were watching a movie (For those of you who are curious, I don't remember what it was. Something about the Crusade in Jerusalem.), but things didn't quite go as planned.

So now I feel like it's a bad time (for reasons I'm not going to get into), and put the moment off. And that's where I am now. I felt like it was a good idea last night, but maybe I'm rushing. I don't know if I'm prepared to deal with whatever may happen, but at the same time, I feel like it's time. I've been hiding this for 4-5 years now.

Does anyone have advice for me? How hard was it for you to tell your parents? Do you think I should wait a while, untill I'm in H.S. or something?

2. TKM

TKM

:icon_biggI think you should tell them when you want to, I think you should wait if you want to(sorry not much help but I can't tell you when to come out) except if they are homophobic and if there is a risk you might get kicked out, I'd wait until you are financialy independent just in case.(but it sounds like you'll be fine just remember they are your parents and they love you) it sounds like your ready to tell them and you Just have the normal worries everyone has before coming out good luck(*hug*)

3. gayman99

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. They really don't seem homophobic to me, or at least I don't remember any homophobic comments. I remember mentioning Dumbledore's gayness to my mom once to gauge her reaction, and she didn't go into a rant or anything, so I guess that's good? Also, I know my grandma will be accepting, so if anything goes badly, I can go to her for support...

4. TKM

TKM

It's good that you are like planning too, oh yea and congrats on coming out to your friend that's great! I'm so happy for you:thumbsup:

5. gayman99

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks! It felt so good to tell someone!