1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Femme, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Femme

I feel like I could come out to most people if I didn't have the Facebook thing hanging over my head. I am out to most people in my life that matter. If you know, then you are are a part of my life. If you do not know, then you go into the category of Facebook "friends."

My girlfriend hates that I'm not out on Facebook because she has to limit herself by not tagging me or mentioning me in certain things.

If I eliminated the people that don't know from my Facebook friends list, it would be a small group, which is fine with me but I don't want to remove "friends" who will be offended that I "unfriended" them for no reason. I hate this Facebook crap.

Any advice?

2. TKM

TKM

Can't you like make sure certain people can't see things on Facebook?i think you can. like you can make it so only a certain group of friends can see your relationship status or thigs you are tagged in. Hope I helped :slight_smile:

3. Femme

I definitely increased who can see what but its never 100% so I just don't post anything that might link us as a couple.

4. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Because all your facebook friends are really your friends :rolle:

5. lighttheway

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Make a new Facebook! best way to go. Be open on the new one and slowly add friends as you come out to them.

6. Lewis

I like lighttheway's idea. I may actually do that at some point :slight_smile:

I'm gonna wait until I finish college, because there's a couple of guys that I know wouldn't treat me the same if I came out. One of them is 17, so he's still a little close-minded, I was at that age too. The other one throws around derogatory gay terms all of the time, but I don't think he has a real problem with gay people in general.

If you feel ready, go for it.

7. Naomilly92

I'm sure if these Facebook friends that you're proposing to delete aren't friends, than being open about your sexuality in statuses wouldn't really affect them that much

8. Femme

Amazingly, I have many conservative friends. Some that I genuinely like though we vote very differently.

I just hate that there even needs to be a coming out. Just because I have a gf doesn't mean I've changed who I am. I have lost friends because of my sexual orientation. Granted, they obviously weren't true friends but it still hurt because I thought they were.

I have a large group of "friends" from high school. Some were genuine friends back then but I haven't seen them since our last high school reunion and likely wont see them again. I realize that at the end of the day, it's about me and not what people think of me but unfortunately I am not there yet. It would bother me if I found out people were gossiping about my having a gf. I guess I'm not ready yet but I'm afraid I won't ever be ready and then one day someone will out me ready or not.

Not sure if I'm making sense. Oh the group I said I would delete is a large group. The small group is the group that would remain. I'd say about 15% of my FB "friends" know. The rest do not.

---------- Post added 24th Jan 2013 at 12:33 AM ----------

This is a good idea but it just seems like too much work. Maybe if I was single I would invest the time with another account.