1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you deal with emotions after you come out ?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by GuidingLight, Jan 23, 2013.

1. GuidingLight

I've made the choice and came out to a family member. I have only one more important family member to talk to. I know deep inside that I'm gay, but was in denial about it.
    Now that I've told a family member and a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders, how do I get used to feeling "normal"?

I feel totally vulnerable, kinda scared, and I don't know how to pursue a girl :bang:. I posted a thread about that. How do you get used to not hiding? not suppressing all of the emotions and reactions? I've been doing that for 10 years so not hiding feels really weird. I'm kind of up in the air about everything lately, and lost. :eusa_doh:

2. Silverbells000

I suppose all it takes is time, coming out is weird and strange and it feels rather different knowing somebody knows and hopefully doesn't mind. At first you will feel very odd and probably see lots of things differently, but rest assured this will fade and the sooner you accept yourself the sooner you'll no longer feel as much of an outsider. Though do bear in mind things will always be different, it will never fully go away but won't feel as bad or strange.

3. GuidingLight

Thanks :slight_smile: I don't mind being thought of as different. Its just all of this emotional stuff that confuses me.

4. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Coming out to oneself is always the hardest. You may experience stages such as the stages of grieving, because you are experiencing the "death" of who you thought you were so to speak.
    When you come out to others, go at your own pace. It will take time and quite possibly some awkward moments to adjust, but eventually you'll feel better as more and more people know. :slight_smile:Congrats on coming out to someone! It's a huge first step and you should be proud of yourself! :grin:

5. GuidingLight

Thanks, you just made me smile. I have to be like dori in finding nemo, "just keep swimming"
    lol:icon_lol::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: I seem to forget to breathe lately and get overwhelmed. Thanks your post helped.

6. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

I'm very glad. I didn't think it would, but on the off chance it did, I decided to say it. (*hug*) Yes we've gotta just keep swimming!!! Sometimes these emotions can get overwhelming, but things will get better. :slight_smile:

7. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i agree it can sometimes make it painful for you to say it but it will be ok in the end

8. Caleb93

I wouldn't expect everything to feel normal right away. If you were used to acting a certain way before you came out, it's gonna take a while to change those habits even though they're not the natural "you." Just take it as it comes.

9. GuidingLight

That makes sense. :slight_smile: