1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's harder? Coming out to a stranger or coming out a close person?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by NickTsuki, Jan 23, 2013.

1. NickTsuki

NickTsuki Guest

I don't know if there already is a thread about it, or if I'm posting on the right place (sorry). But I would like to know: What's harder? Coming out to a stranger (someone who's not close to you, a acquaintance) or to someone close (family, friends)?

I personally think it's harder to come out to those close to me because I'm afraid to lose them or that they change around me.
    When it's a stranger I'm cool with telling them since we will build a relationship from then on being it good or not.
    What I mean to say is I think it's easier to come out to those who you know won't be (maybe) disapointed or shocked with you, they don't expect anything from you, I guess.
    Well, that's it, what do you people think? :icon_redf

2. AaronG

AaronG Guest

I think its much easier to come out to a stranger because normally you won't really care what they think. Family on the other hand, is a life sentence so if they don't accept it then you'll be stuck with their disapproval for quite a while.

3. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I found it easier to come out to stangers, or even people I didn't know that well. My family was the hardest

4. Naomilly92

For me, it's definitely a stranger, you don't know them, you'll probably never see them again, they actually have no involvement in your life

5. NickTsuki

NickTsuki Guest

I think it's a bit awkward when you don't know the person very well because most people assume you're straight. It's more intense and you actually talk about it with people you know, but with a stranger it's like, no I'm not straight and then oh... *awkward silence* followed by diverese reactions. But like I said, it's still easier.

6. RainbowMan

WAY easier with a stranger. Look at this thread for evidence of that, the most hilarious thing in the world!

7. Kay

Kay Guest

Strangers are far easier to tell.

8. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Family and friends is always the hardest. You care what they think and don't want to be judged by them or viewed differently than how you were before they knew you were gay. With strangers/new acquaintance, people generally don't care what they think and don't have much to worry about.

9. NickTsuki

NickTsuki Guest

Changing topics a bit, how do you usually tell a stranger you're gay? Sometimes I don't find the right moment to say but I don't want misunderstandings.

10. Rexmond

Definitely strangers, it's so much easier because you don't know them as much, so don't really have to care if they judge you. If it's someone close, that one piece of info you tell them could make all the difference, for better or for worse.

11. SOULkitchen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If they ask me I say I am bi. And if that causes misunderstandings I politely explain that I have previously dated women and men and I enjoyed both. :thumbsup:

Also, what kind of misunderstanding could arise from saying you are gay? Seems pretty straightforward to me. "I am gay = I like guys."

12. Niko

I try to hide from everyone, buuut I'd say strangers would be easier. Because you have to live with you family and what not, but strangers you may never see them ever again.

13. NickTsuki

NickTsuki Guest

Not when I say, but when I don't have the opportunity to say I'm bi (I usually say I like boys and girls) . But all in all, I think most people I meet don't ask about sexuality, they just assume I'm straight and need protection like a little girl (what pisses me off)
    Like I don't want people to think I lied to them or that I deceived them into thinking I'm straight (I know it's insane but it happens --')
    ----
    Yeah, it's not like I'm telling everyone too. But a funny thing to do is going to a far place you rarely go and call a stranger you will never meet again and tell them you're gay. It's weird, creepy, funny and refreshing. (I've done it once when I felt frustrated that some friends were being homophobic and I couldn't say anything out of fear)

#13 NickTsuki, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013
  14. GingerGuy

I think coming out to a close person, specially your family, is much harder. I've come out to friends, but not to parents. However, I don't see any reason to come out to a stranger. You might have something to lose by doing that, but nothing to gain. If people ask if I'm gay, I'm going to say yes, unless its a classmate. But I believe people will assume I'm gay after I get into a gay club or kiss my boyfriend right in front of them hehe

---------- Post added 23rd Jan 2013 at 08:59 PM ----------

Oh, and about the second question, I'll only tell a stranger about mt sexuality if I'm asked first. I'll say it fast and without hesitating, because now in certain (and proud) of who I am.

15. Rainbow Music

Coming out to a close person is so much harder becasue of the fear of losing them. I really don't care if people know I'm gay or not, because mostly everbody knows anyway. The way I see it is, why tell people anyway, unless they ask or if like a girl is hitting on me then yeah sure of course I'm going to tell them. "Sweetie, I'm sorry, but I'm gay." LOL. Or if they ask. But other than that, there's really no need to bring it up. But that's just my opinion.

16. NickTsuki

NickTsuki Guest

Yeah, I can see your point. I'm still a bit new to it, so I'm curious, full of doubts and in closet willing to change.
    I actually already hitted on a gay guy once (I swear I can't see people's sexuality), no big deal, he was very polite and clear to me.

17. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    Coming out to strangers is definitely the easiest, then coming out to acquaintances, and finally coming out to close friends and family. It's hard to come out to friends and family because they already have this idea of who you are and you don't want to change how they think about you. Whereas, with a stranger or an acquaintance you don't know them that well so they just accept that you are gay as a part of who you are.

18. Eletricalmonkss

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's way easier for someone to come out to a complete stranger or even acquaintance because usually the stakes are a lot lesser.

19. madi

This has basically already been said, but it is much harder for me to come out to people close to me. With an acquaintance it's all so casual because what's the worst that could happen? I don't really care enough about them for it to matter whether or not they stop talking to me. With family or close friends that potential of losing them is there. That is one seriously scary fear and that's what makes coming out so hard.

20. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

It's a lot easier to tell a stranger than to tell a friend or family member. As for the second question, I only tell a stranger/co-worker/random people I'm gay if they ask, I don't really feel like it's any of their business or something they need to know.