1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

via email

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Josclare, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Josclare

Josclare Guest

okay i know this may seem like kind of a cowards way out , but because of the 8 hour flight difference between us it is the only option (i thought about skype but its really bad quality and i want to be able to make my self heard). I wanna tell someone in my family because i need to or i feel like i am going to blow and i am choosing her as she knows the rest of the family and how they may react, she is also of my generation , non religious londoner with plenty of gay friends who fights for human rights so shes like as un homophobic as you can get, and i think she might already know. I was just wondering if anyone had an advice on what to say via email, should i mention a particular girl or just talk in generally terms of my sexuality ? thanks

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is nothing wrong with coming out by email, I did several times, its whatever suits you best.

3. GayLibertarian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Coming out is a difficult process (one in which I have unfortunately not partaken in too much), and I would say that any way that makes you comfortable is good for you. It is not the coward's way out, I have considered doing it many times (and may still settle on it). Do whatever you think is right for you would be the bottom line here.

4. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I told my mum outright but i should have done it by email, i think its a good road to take

5. RainbowMan

I'm planning on coming out to my parents via email. Like the OP, I live far from either of my parents, so there's really no other choice for me I don't think. There's definitely the phone call route, but we don't do well on calls talking about "normal" stuff - always talking over each other, not sure when it's our turn to speak, etc.

So I chose the email route (which I haven't done yet). This allows me to express everything that I want to, in the way that I want to, and not worry that something will either go unsaid, or have the conversation drift off in a way that I'm not ready for it to g:confused:f course, in the closing of my letter, I said to feel free to e-mail or call, so you still have the risk of the conversation going somewhere else, but at least I'll have a common basis at that point.

I shared the letter with my therapist, and he thought it was very genuine and authentic to me and called my writing "beautiful" (his term, not mine - it seems like a jumbled up mess to me!), which I found validating. The problem is I don't know how my parents will take it. Of course, my therapist took it well, but there's nothing contained there that he didn't already know.