1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Went straight back in.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Rarar, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Rarar

So, I came out to my mum the other day.

To cut a long story short, she called me 'disgusting, sick and messed up in the head'. She also threatened to kick me out of the house. Being 16 and still in A-Levels, I can't leave. So I lied to her and said that I only though I was gay, and that I could just be confused. I marched straight back into the closet.

She said that she will never accept me for being gay, and neither will the rest of my family. They have very traditional values and are quite homophobic. She told me that if I did come out 'properly' later, I would have to cut all of my family out of my life, and they would be heartbroken by my 'decision'. Then she stopped talking to me.

And I seriously don't know what to do anymore. Either I live the life I want, or I live the one forced upon me. Or I just swallow some bleach now and have it all over with.

I don't know. :help:

2. thekspot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well give your mother some time, I did the same with my mom, and she told me I brought shame to the family. A week later she told me she just wants me to be happy whatever and however that is.

Just be confident in who you are, sometimes others may not accept you but you have have the confidence in yourself and be able to continue on with your life.

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your mother is being VERY unfair on you

Reminds me of "Prayers for Bobby" (2009) - a great film [see it on YouTube] about a mother coming to terms with her son's sexuality

and you .. you need some good support
    - here
    - friends
    - maybe a group from LGBT community in your area

a confidential counsellor may also be helpful if you are getting too stressed out

but come back here too .. its so easy, and free!

love

4. Salazar

I'm sorry to hear it went so badly (*hug*)

Maybe you just need to give her some time? Or just wait until you go to university or something before you tell her again. Either way, don't swallow bleach. Besides death, I'm sure it tastes dreadful.

5. shovelman

I can't believe how some parents can be so cruel to their children just because they're attracted to the same gender. I'm sorry that this happened to you and I'm with bingostring, try to find support groups around you, you've already found this place which is great but if you need a more face to face kind of help then see if you can find one near your area.

6. Rainbow Music

My grandma reacted the same way when I told her. That was four years ago. Over Christmas, she told me "I've come to respect you a lot more now that you've turned your life around. There's just one thing that I never will accept about you." "What's that", I said. She said "You know what it is." I said "What, the fact that I like guys?" She said, "Yep."

But maybe someday. One can only hope, you know.

7. Eurinthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One of the things to keep in mind during the coming out process is that you have no idea how the other person will react. That part is a risk you have no control over, but to maintain resolve and fight through these feelings you should always keep in mind what motivated you to begin coming out. Maybe it's that feeling of asserting your true self, or wanting to be honest with the people you care about.

I will neither encourage nor discourage you from killing yourself; every now and then I wonder whether coming out several years ago was the right decision for me and if not killing myself really was the right decision, so I can't give any good advice on that. It hurts, I know it does, and I'm so sorry, I really am (I'm not sure how sincere words on a screen sound). I know this will sound like such a trite thing to say, but you need to give it time--not to wait for your mother to come around and accept you (that may never happen), but rather for your to improve and restructure your life to find emotional support and bolster your sense of identity. I've found that the worst moments of my life have fortified me against some pretty nasty scenarios later on. I truly hope your situation improves, but even if it doesn't, please give it time--maybe it seems at first ironic or bitter, but I mean this earnestly: there is value in what you're going through.

8. wandering i

It may seem distant to you now, but there will come a time when you are independent and can choose who you want in your life. There will be so many people you meet who don't care, or who support you in your orientation. And not just your orientation, but your interests, goals, and dreams. You are just as allowed to be yourself as anyone else and you deserve to be happy as much as anyone else. Things may be hard right now but you will get your freedom and you can make your life whatever you want it to be.
    Then, if she still has the same attitude, it will be her loss in not getting to share your life with you.
    There is blood family, but there is also the family you choose and it is equally precious.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, I'm really sorry you're having to deal with this. It really sucks.

Your mom is probably pretty ignorant about what it means to be gay, and that's fueling at least part of her response.

Additionally, there are the 5 stages of loss any time someone confronts a major loss (in this case, her loss of perception of you as straight)
    denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance

So it's very possible that she got past denial, and what you were feeling was the anger. Doesn't make it any easier, but at least you know it's a somewhat normal response people can have to their child coming out. And the "If you come out properly later, this-and so will happen"... is getting closer to the bargaining stage, so she really may be processing this, even though you tapdanced your way back into the closet.

Which... also makes me wonder if she might have had other inklings or hints that you might be gay. Mothers, in particular, tend to have a "sixth sense", so she may have already, deep down, questioned it, which made it easier, when you came out, to skip over denial and go straight to anger.

Regardless of what she says, it's very, very unlikely everyone in the family will write you off. In our experience here at EC, that's a very, very rare occurrence. Even in the most religiously conservative families, in most cases, given a choice between losing their child entirely and accepting that s/he is gay... most will choose acceptance.

In any case, I'd just give it time. I'm sure it will work out. And in the meantime, just lay a little bit low with your family. It won't be that long before you can live the life you want to live.

10. Ianthe

In addition to agreeing with what Chip said, I wanted to elaborate on one thing:

It's incredibly unlikely that everyone in your entire family will have the exact same reaction to you coming out. It is much more probable that individuals will vary in their responses. Some may react like she did; some will be more like, "that's none of my business, but I just don't want to hear about it." Some will be mildly uncomfortable. And most likely, some will support you. Your family does not have a hive mind.

This is just initial reactions; most people will eventually accept you, even if they react really badly at first.

11. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Lots of people are telling you to give her some time. Don't do that, she won't change her beliefs, most likely. Wait until you're in college. I know it feels like a long time but it really isn't, and you'll be glad you did once you leave the household.

12. Rarar

Just a quick update - I've now had to lie to her. I told her I was confused, and not 100% sure I was straight. A few days ago she asked me how I was, and I told her I think I'm straight.

Which is a total lie.

I have to lie to her face just to make everything work out, at least until university. She told me to follow my heart, and that she doesn't want me to live a life of lies; she wants me to be happy. But she did say that if I am gay, I would have to cut the family out, because they would never accept it, which is true. My family is very, very traditional about this kind of thing; I originally thought my mother would be the most liberal one before coming out. In a sense, she was - her reaction is nothing compared to how everyone else will react.

Hmph. Though she's telling me she wants me to be happy, it pains me to know that such a large part of my life is going to be removed so very shortly. :frowning2:

13. XsabercaliberX

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Believe me I know how it feels. My dads side of the family found out and casted me out for being gay. Although I thought about it and said that as long as I can still live happy and be sucessful I didn't need them to accept me. Anyway in my opinion I would wait for a moment where I know I can go somewhere and actually stay for a while. One more thing I learned is that there will always be someone with you that will help guide you to a happy life. Hope everything goes well just remember that you also have people here to help yu along the way as well.

14. Rebellion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm really sorry of you Rarar that your family wouldn't accept you for being who you are, still I would like to say I wish I had been so brave as you to come out to my parents at your age. My opinion is that if you're in risk of being kicked out of your house for being gay, in that case I'd not say anything till you're financially independent, or, at least, till you go to university, assuming you'll be far away from home, but in any case, seek your happiness ignoring what your family wants you to be, it's your life, not theirs, but be a little cautious while you depend on them.

In any case, perhaps she'll accept eventually, some people need time to assimilate such things that go against their principles, but still, it surprises me how unfair some parents can be with their children just because they're not straight, It's just over the top... As bingostring said, if you're lucky enough to have a LGTB community you can go, it would be a good idea to seek advise there. Good luck!

15. Rarar

Just another update, I've finally decided - I can't do it. I can't and won't do that to my mum or my family again. I've decided to lie, instead. I'm gonna live a "straight" life. I'll bury the real me, the gay me, far away. I'll ignore all my feelings for guys and fake them for girls, instead. Yes, I know it's wrong and bad, but I can't do it to them, I won't be the one responsible for tearing them apart. As much as it hurts, their happiness and well being is more important than my own, so if I have to sacrifice the true me to make them happy, I will. :frowning2:

16. Rarar

Um, excuse me? Is that really appropriate right now?

17. ChandlerCurious

No definitely not appropriate!! And I'm sorry to hear what you are going through and I really feel you need to be who you are...maybe not today and maybe not even tomorrow but someday yes....you need to take care of you!

(*hug*)

18. Queen

Mother's a selfish narcissistic bitch.

#18 Queen, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  19. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, at age 16, you've decided to martyr yourself and your happiness for somebody else.

Please, somebody go get the cross, we haven't used it in a couple thousand years, but it sounds like we need it :slight_smile:

YOU are not responsible for tearing anyone apart. YOU are not responsible for their happiness. They can try to put that on you, but one of the most basic lessons that healthy people learn is that you alone are responsible for your happiness or lack thereof. If your parents relationship disintegrates, it's because they don't know how to deal with any difficulties or setbacks in their lives, not because of how you do or don't live your own life.

And, more importantly, if you don't learn this, you'll set yourself up for a really miserable existence. Not just in dealing with your parents, but in taking on everyone else's problems. It's called codependency, and it can lead to a lifetime of unhappiness if you don't work on it and address it.

I can appreciate that you're a kind and caring person who wants the best for everyone, but you have to look out for yourself first, otherwise you won't have any energy or love left to give anyone else.

Hiding who you are might be necessary in the short term to avoid getting kicked out of the house... but don't for a moment believe it's reasonable, rational, or a practical long-term solution. In the meantime, work on loving and accepting yourself as a gay guy, and understanding your parents shortcomings in that department. Once you're off at college or wherever, then you have to live your life and not try to be someone you aren't simply because your parents don't believe in you.

This is hard, and right now, may seem like the only option. But please keep your mind open. I think you'll come to understand this better as you think about it.

20. Rarar

Thanks for the help, it has certainly been useful. I could be straight short-term, but I know if I do come out (again), it will break my mum's heart and I don't know if I would be prepared to do such a thing. I love both my parents and sister so much, I don't want to hurt them by coming out again. It'd be too painful to hurt them like that and have them out of my life. I just don't know what to do. :/