1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally out to parents!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Unseen Tenacity, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Ive been out to all my friends for about 2 months now and for the longest time ive been trying to tell my parents.

So last night we got into this huge fight, literally screaming at each other. After about 45 minutes of this I just couldn't take it anymore and, completely ignoring my parents, i went upstairs to take the shower which i was supposed to take before the fighting started. I got into the shower and basically sat there and cried for 20 minutes cause of all the emotional stress. I jut really wanted to tell them i was gay but i couldn't bring myself to tell them which is why the fighting started in the first place. They kept bugging me about why i was stressed and snappy towards everyone lately and instead of telling them (my 12 yr old sister was around and i REALLY don't want her to know just yet) i just made up some random bs that got them even angrier.

Anyways, for some reason in the shower after about 15 minutes i jut started laughing, like literally rolling on the floor laughing, and i still have no clue why i was so hysterical. So i just sat and alternated between hysterics and crying for no reason untill i finally felt better enough to venture outside the bathroom.

So after taking my time i finally made it back downstairs and since i knew what was coming i tried to move as fast as i could but it happened anyways. My dad asked me to go over and sit down so we could talk, which i really didn't feel like doing. So my mom asks me whats wrong and if anythings bugging me and i just blurt out "I'm Gay" followed by giggling (residue from the hysterics) and then shocked silence.............

My dad: "So then what are you going to do form prom?"
    Yes, my dad was more worried about who i was going to bring to prom then the fact that i was gay :dry: but i guess thats a good thing. So my parents are shocked, my moms a little depressed because her dreams for me are shattered and my dad keeps asking me the strangest questions and there is just a general sense of awkwardness around the house but it could've been a LOT worse.

Now i need to get to work on the rest of my family. Think typical 80 year old Italian grandparents.

P.S. Thanks if you actually bothered to read that wall of text and kudos if you understood all of it.

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That sounds like it went very well. I was worried when I started reading that you had come out during the argument, which is a bad idea. It's good that you calmed down (with the help of the shower), and I hope they were more calm when you got back to them too.

I don't quite get where the hysterics came from, but I assume it's from the release of emotions.

Congratulations on another success!

Once things have settled with your parents, perhaps you can talk to them about how to come out to the grandparents - or whether it's best not to.

3. AlmightyFluffy

Congrats!
    It always makes me all happy when I hear people coming out to parents with positive results. :3

4. Yeah i have no clue either, im guessing all the emotional stress.

5. biisme

yay!!! that's great. are u planning on telling ur grandparents soon?

6. lol no, i may eventually but theyre not very accepting. ill just handle things as they come from here on.

7. Wired106

That's great! lol I think all parents ask weird questions at first haha. But just give it a couple weeks and your mom will be totally ok with it I'm sure. Congrats on coming out to everyone!

8. HalfInsane

Sounds like it went well!

And I can kind of relate to the hysterics thing... I've had it happen once or twice now where I've gotten extremely stressed and/or nervous and I actually started laughing uncontrollably about absolutely nothing... I looked like a complete maniac.

#8 HalfInsane, Mar 3, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  9. latinolover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    good for u you came out ...but i still dnt understand why u were laughing then crying it kind of made me laught..[well good luck with the rest of your family] : }

10. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm that laughing-crying thing could be because if something happened to shock you or something, your brain accidentally signalled the wrong emotion, so you ended up laughing instead?
    That's what happened to me once, after I fell off a go-kart and was in a great deal of pain..I was hysterical with laughter..
    Congratz on coming out!!

11. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Well done. It must have been so hard, but hopefully you can get over this, build your relationships back up and all feel better thanks to your honesty. Good luck with the rest of the family!

12. Thanks a lot guys! (*hug*)

13. Urman

Urman Guest

Congrats proud of you :slight_smile:

14. Astaroth

Well done and congrats!