1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook coming out!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Wowguy, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Wowguy

So, now that I'm halfway through coming out( my mom and bestfriend knows ) should I come out on Facebook? I really don't care what people think, but Im sure that everyone will be accepting :slight_smile: I'm a bit nervous, not sure what to do! Or should I just tell the ones who are important, and then if someone else asks just be like, 'yeah I am gay' ...?

2. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    Hey Wowguy,

It's entirely up to each individual how they want to come out and what they think is best. Facebook has become a modern day way of telling everybody with a fairly easy click of a button (usually after looking at it for a while :wink: ). That being said, if it was me I'd definitely want to tell my close friends and family first before making it 'facebook official', just because I think they deserve to hear it directly.

Good luck whatever do you.

3. RainbowMan

Exactly what Jamie said. I think that you owe it to those close to you to tell them personally before making it official on Facebook, but with an extremely large circle of people (such as I have on Facebook - I'll do it there when I'm good and ready!) it's probably the best way to do it. But first I need to tell those people that are close to me and important in my life, and getting to that point is the hard part.

I think that the Facebook thing will be easy when I decide to do it. I've already looked at the button :grin:

4. jaysuss

I told everyone who I thought deserved to know before going publicly on facebook. I also told some people that I thought would be accepting and make our relationship tighter before doing it. Coming out can be like a really good thing for building relationships as well as breaking at times.

5. mothcaterpillar

It should be easy enough (if facebook lets you find where you change it) but yeah telling close people in person first is important

6. Wowguy

Thank you so much guys! Yes I was thinking to tell close friends first, because they deserve to know :slight_smile:

7. Eletricalmonkss

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As long as you're announcing your sexuality on FB is a sincere non over-the-top way than I'm all for it. Tell the ones you're closest to before hand

8. AlamoCity

I have always considered coming out via Facebook (and changing my status of what gender I prefer) but consider it inappropriate for myself at this time. For me, it's because I will be entering the workforce soon and I fear for discrimination in employment opportunities because where I live (the Southern United States) gays can be fired for being gay. Later, as the situation changes, I'll reassess the situation. For you in Australia this may not be an issue, but there are others who may consider such practicalities before announcing anything through Facebook.

Also, I believe that you should tell those closest in person, or if far away, via phone or email. This will ensure that they know before your other "friends" on Facebook and understand you consider them special.

It's always better to hear something important straight from the horse's mouth than through the grapevine.

9. Wowguy

Thank you so much for sharing your story! I will definitely tell my close friends first, face to face! Cheers, Chris

10. RainbowMan

Sorry that you live in such a homophobic place - do gays actually get fired for being gay? I suspect if you're in a place like Atlanta or something that won't happen, but I obviously don't know the situation around where you are.

Here in NYC, it really isn't that big of deal. Even if it were, my orientation is visible only to friends, so there would really be no risk even if there were actual discrimination (which is illegal in NY)

11. MichaelB

Telling your close friends face to face can add a level of intimacy to your friendship really.

I told everyone I cared about face to face, and only then did I make it facebook official. I think, personally, that it might be kinda upsetting to find out such a major part of someones life via media, it's like they couldn't be bothered to tell you. D:

12. Silverbells000

I'm gonna agree with everyone else, tell only close people first and then wait and see. Sometimes making it facebook official is nice but half the time people think you were hacked and some person posted you were, you'd have to do some convincing that you really are. I'd so go for it, coming out feels really great, especially if they still love you as a person. I've only told a few people but I'm happy I've told them. Even if only a few people know, it's worth having them know.

13. RainbowMan

So here''s my plan for Facebook when the time comes (and I admit that I'm an uber-geek, so if some of these terms don't make sense - ask for clarification!)

1) Status post. In that post, include a link to an externally hosted GPG-signed version of that post. My key has a significant trust factor already, so that's all good.
    2) In that status post, include a link to a (probably longer) post on my blog.
    3) Tick the box that I'm interested in men, and untick the box that I'm into women.
    4) Profit!

14. Naomilly92

You don't have to come out on Facebook. Just be open about yourself on Facebook, that's what I do anyway, I don't rub my sexuality in anyone's face, but I don't hide it either

15. Kenaz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I will also share that when I came out on Facebook, the only thing I regret is not telling my parents and close friends first -- as my parents were a bit upset I didn't share this with them before posting it. Also, as some have suggested, you may want to just begin being open and OK with yourself, and if people ask, not hide it. However, I feel that it was a thing I needed at the time and made me feel more comfortable to get it 'out there' and off of my chest.

Your choice in the end, so do what *you* feel is best for you! :slight_smile:

16. HadesReborn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I told my friends I was around and then my family and then I got in a relationship and posted it on Facebook, I allowed the people that wanted to be offended delete me and the others could congratulate me. Facebook i think is a perfectly good way of coming out. I agree with Tokyo Police Club... just be open about yourself. You don't have to scream about it, you could just change the "interested in" section. If people find out because they look then they find out, but other than that people can find out if they ask you. =]

But again, like it has been said a million times over. Its your coming out. You have the choice on how you want to do it.

17. DaveG123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out on Facebook about 2 months. And, I did tell my close friends long before I did that. And when I finally decided to post it on FB, everyone was supportive (except for this one guy I know, who seemed to be shocked by it. Haha..). And I also checked the "Interested in Men" button, so anyone who cares enough to read my profile will see it. After I did it, it felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. That's how mine went, but yeah, as others mentioned before, it's your coming out, your decision. :slight_smile:

18. Wowguy

Thank you so much for sharing all the stories! I'm getting closer and closer to come out. As I said, my close friends know, and my mom, so yeah :grin:

19. Unsuregirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So i'll tell you my story then you may decide. It wasn't my decision in coming out. My ex made the decision for me, I came out at work first. Just to kinda try out the idea of it all. Anyways my ex and I recently split. And well She decided it was a wonderful idea to hack my facebook and do it for me. She messaged every single female on my facebook telling them they are no londer aloud to speak to me. (yes she went a tad psyco, ok more than a tad) She messaged high school friends, work friends, family and MY BOSS! Whom thank God is a lesbian, and already knew, and wasnt mad at me. I'm shocked though considering this girl has messaged now like 2 times and completely had me hacked! I couldn't even get into the shit. I have lost alot of family and friends (Or so I thought they were) These past two weeks, yet found out who would stand beside me. Its been an experience from well Hell. I would advise honestly making sure everyone close to you knows first. I have been uninvited to my mothers funeral when she dies, asked not to attend my cousins wedding (in which I was to be a bridesmaid) and many other things, I hate but to feel if perhaps I had come out a long time ago and done it on my own things wouldn't have went so poorly. Good luck in all your decisions.

20. Whiteboymdew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would tell whoever you are very close to first... any friends who you would to tell first. Then go on facebook. I think you are ready tho