1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out to Parents at last

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Calico, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Calico

I finally managed to tell my parents I'm gay. It was followed by a long discussion so I'm just going to write the gist of it (mostly it was just my mum repeating the same stuff over and over).
    Dad: :roflmao:I think you're too young to know that for sure.
    Mum: me too and you had a crush on this boy and if you are I don't mind and I'll still love you but don't tell anyone at all because in high school kids are mean and don't understand and you might be straight and think of all this etc etc etc.

I know this is a better reaction than many people get but I'm a little upset about the comment in bold because all my friends from the past two years know and I was planning on being pretty open about it at my new school (just moved). I know she's worried for me but it still really annoys me.:dry:
    But now I don't know what to do.....should I still be open about my sexuality or should I wait until I have a few close friends and only tell them instead?

2. Gen

Gen

I wouldnt get upset about that comment, it is very true for the extreme vast majority of highschools. Everyone is not going to be kind nor tolerant, which is why, although it is fine to come out if you wish, you have to make sure you are strong enough to deal with any of the possibilities.

There is a difference between not coming out, and hiding yourself. Highschool life doesnt revolve around relationships and sex even slightly as much as it is in the media. 90% of your classmates will probably be single, and sex/virginities arent really commonly talked about, aside from inpersonal jokes.(In most crowds, that is. There are always exceptions). The point is, your orientation probably wont be a topic of interest or a necessary fact unless you make it one.

I would not advise hiding yourself at all, meaning be yourself and dont waste time with lies and fictional stories and boyfriends. But unless there is a purpose or you feel the need too, I wouldnt come out to everyone. Keep it with your close friends if you wish.

3. Calico

Thanks, Gen. That really helps :slight_smile:

4. Acobi

Acobi Guest

I think your mom is just worried about you. All moms look out for their children-it should be expected.

With that being said though, you know yourself better than anyone else and if you want to be out at school-be out at school. However, I think you will find some very accepting people and some maybe more immature people. But that is with life and anywhere. Whenever you come out, you will have to deal with this polarization of acceptance. You will definitely make some friends who will know you for you right of the bat, which is amazing.

I already think it is awesome you came out to your parents-everyone else is just bonus. :slight_smile: