1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here I go again :)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by shovelman, Jan 28, 2013.

1. shovelman

Alright so for those of you who have read my previous threads now know that I have come out to 4 awesome friends and my dad. This time I'm going to write the story of how I came out to my mom on Friday 1/26/13.

Well as some of you who have read my threads before will know that I've been having some trust issues with my mom after she cheated on my dad and has giving me other reasons not to really trust her. Part of me turning 20 is that I want to start living my life without lies or deception so I challenged my self to make my 2013 new year's resolution to come out of the closet. I started coming out to my friends then my dad, but you can all read bout that on the other threads, and now it was my mom's turn to know this secret I had been hiding for years but I wasn't sure when that was going to happen because she lives in California and I live here in Oregon and thought of telling her something this important to me over the phone was no option. Last week she told me that she was going to come here to Oregon this past weekend so she can spend time with us and I thought that it would be a great opportunity for me to tell her but first I had to try to mend the broken trust between us.

Friday night came and she arrived. My brother and I greeted her with hugs and we got our luggage in her rental car because we had decided to go spend the weekend up at Seattle. Because my cousin was coming along with his girlfriend we were going to stay at their place for the night. As we were heading towards my cousin's place I started talking to her about how I had lost trust in her and I explained the whole turning 20 thing, after we conversed for a while we came to an agreement that we are going to start building that trust back because after all she's my mom and I love her and I want her to be a part of my life once again. I held her hand and she was happy to know that things between were going going to start getting better.

Alright so before all of this, back when she told me that she was coming for a visit, she asked me if there was anything of mine that I wanted her to bring me and I told her that if she could bring a bag of pins I had left back at California then that would be great. She came and she handed me the bag of pins along with some other stuff, I quickly looked around my pins but I didn't find the one pin I wanted so I just left the bag in my room before I left to the trip to Seattle. OK so now back to after we had spoken I searched on my iPhone for a picture of a Pride flag pin and I found one. I told my mom
    me- "you know that I told you that there was a specific pin I wanted to find in my bag?"
    her- "yeah"
    me- "this is the one I wanted to find"
    I showed her the picture of the pride pin on my phone
    me- "do you know what this is?"
    her- "It's gay flag right?"
    me- "yeah, the reason I wanted to fin this pin is because I want to put in my pack. Mom I'm gay"
    her- "really? are you sure?"
    me- "well I wouldn't be telling you if I wasn't sure"
    She reached for my hand and said "OK, well I still love you no matter what and I want you to do or find what ever makes you happy"
    me- "Thanks mom, I love you too"
    after that she proceeded to ask me how long have I known, if my dad knew, who else knew and stuff of that nature. It all turned out just as I imagined because she has no problem's with gay people and has an open mind to things like this. What did surprise me was when I asked her if she ever knew or had an idea that I might be gay and she told me that the thought had never crossed her mind and that she was pretty surprised that I came out gay, so even though before in the past both my parents had given me some reason to think that they knew or at least had the thought that I could possibly be gay they both turned out to be pretty clueless :eusa_doh:.

OK well I have said it before but I'll say it again, thank you all who have helped me go through this with some great advice and for giving me some courage to take the challenge of coming out because it can be a very scary and tough process and I'm just very thankful for all the help and support that I got from EC and those who are dear to me :slight_smile:.
    I am now in the stage where if anyone asks, yes! I'm gay and I could't be happier to be no one else than the true me :grin:. Thanks for reading.

2. Wowguy

Just wow! Congratulations mate" I'm very happy for you! Feels great coming out, doesn't it? I wish all the best for you, and don't forget, I'm always here if you wanna talk about
    Anything! :slight_smile: WOOOT WOOTT!

3. Caleb93

Congrats man! I'm glad that ended well for you :slight_smile:

4. PeteNJ

A heartwarming story! Proud of you for telling her. Happy for you that your Mom is so great and loving with you.

(and I'm coming to realize, that committing to doing something, like you living authentically and without deception, is good for the soul and makes stuff happen)