1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have children they came out to?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by ChandlerCurious, Jan 29, 2013.

1. ChandlerCurious

So I had a child right out of high school. Best thing that ever happened to me to be honest. She actually lives with me but will be going off to college on the fall. So I guess that is why I have decided that it is time to move on with my life and figure out the "real me" but the thought of telling your own child freaks me out! Thoughts?

2. FranklinK

This is a little off topic, but my dad was gay. None of us had an issue with it. A friend of mine her dad was gay and had a partner and she and her brother loved them both and called them both dad. I think that in this day and age children are growing up to be more understanding and accepting.

3. Jeff

That is beautiful, and nice to hear about. I can imagine it would be hard to tell your child that you are gay when they have no idea. I do wonder how she has no idea? Did you simply stay in and not come out to anyone?

But anyway, I would tell her after she has gotten settled in school, or you have settled, and moved on with your life. Just to avoid too much going on at once for her.

I kind of wish sometimes that I had a kid. Other times I do not. But I admire anyone, especially gay men who have them. It is getting some of the best of both worlds in my opinion.

Anyway, it is frightening ain't it the thought of coming out. Perhaps this summer when the Supreme Court rules on Prop 8 and DOMA, if it goes well for same-sex marriage, you can ask her if she heard about these big rulings? And then state your opinion of them and why you feel this way. Or you could pick another current topic, like Obama's comments about gay rights during his address last week. And go from there.

Anyway, I wish you and your kid the best. I think you are in a much better place now than ever before so far as having a kid that will understand and be welcoming.