1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my Mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by the frizz, Feb 1, 2013.

1. the frizz

This afternoon I finally plucked up the courage to tell my Mom that I'm bisexual and currently dating my best friend. It went a lot better than I thought it would. She wasn't really all that surprised since we have an awful lot of sleepovers. I think the thing she's finding most difficult is that I identify as being bisexual. She believes that you're either gay or straight and that there's really no grey area when it comes down to it. Her comment to me being bisexual was "why don't you just be gay?". I had to explain to her that it's not the gender of the person that attracts me to them, it's who they are. I think she needs more time with it.

My hope is that she'll try to understand some day. Baby steps right?

2. shovelman

That's right, baby steps :slight_smile: It sounds like it went fantastic otherwise, I'm happy for you :slight_smile:

3. Shiny Espeon

Congrats! And while she may not understand bisexuality right now, at least she isn't upset about you liking women. So I'd say you got a really good response from her. :slight_smile:

4. DeanIsHome

Awwww congrats! I'm so happy for you that you're mom is as accepting as she is! I'm sure over time she'll understand you're orientation as Bisexual, you just need to inform her a bit about it, slowly. Congrats though (*hug*)

5. ssessoms

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Awesome job it should be easier from here on out huh?

6. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    Congrats! Hopefully your mom will get used to the idea of bisexuality with time!