1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my sister

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by RainbowMan, Feb 5, 2013.

1. RainbowMan

We had a nice hour long phone chat. At the beginning, she could very easily tell that something wasn't right. I told her that we had something important to talk about.

Then I got into all sorts of cliched things about how this doesn't change anything, I hope you'll still love me, and all of that. Then I dropped the bomb:

"I'm gay"

"OK, that doesn't change anything. We (meaning her and her husband) know all sorts of people that love in all sorts of different ways. All that matters is that you're happy"

So it went well. This is in preparation for my parents tomorrow (my birthday), via letter, not phone call. The consensus is that it won't be well received, but we're not sure how bad it will be. I'm specifically doing it via letter to give them space to respond in their own time and on their own terms.

We'll see how it goes tomorrow. I've come to the decision that I have to do it. At least I know that my sister is there for me no matter what happens.

2. DeanIsHome

Awwwwwwww I wish i had a sister not 4 BROTHERS, congrats though (!)

3. RainbowMan

Well, I have 4 brothers and 2 sisters if that makes you feel better :grin:

4. handonthehandle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congrats man, and good luck tomorrow! I can imagine how you're feeling right now...I'm still probably a couple months away from telling my parents, but I know it's not going to go over as smoothly as I would like. Still trying to decide whether to take the face-to-face or letter approach, or a combination of the two. Take some comfort knowing that you've got one member of your family behind you - and let me know if you need a kindred spirit to talk to. Crossing my fingers that you'll be surprised & things go much better than you're anticipating. (*hug*)

5. PeteNJ

Congrats -- proud of you!

All the best with your parents. Do it as lovingly and compassionately as you can, since you think it might be hard for them

6. Minx

Aww, congratulations. :slight_smile:

7. AlamoCity

I'm really happy that you have the support and understanding of your sister and hope your parents will, in time, be accepting.

8. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    Congrats! I hope telling your parents goes better than you are anticipating :slight_smile:

9. nydtc

Congrats- you gave yourself a birthday present that will keep on giving- emotional freedom!! Happy birthday!

10. DanD

I have huge admiration and respect for you, and I hope your parents are understanding in time.
    I could never tell mine, ever.

11. Naomilly92

Congrats. I'm so proud of you. I'd love to have a sister, females are awesome

12. DanD

I have five of them, AND nine brothers (no twins either).

13. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

Wow, that's awesome that it went so well with your sister!! And good luck with your parents. You are so brave! I hope to have your courage one day. Best of luck!! (*hug*)

14. Nepenthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Glad things went well with your sister :slight_smile: I hope you're parents can learn to be just as accepting. Good luck!

15. prism

AHHHHHHH CONGRATULATIONS! I know this was a huge goal for you. :slight_smile: