1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Came Out to My Aunt - My Confusion is Over!!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Nyanko, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Nyanko

After a long time fighting with myself over what I truly am even if it meant being confused forever, I finally realized that I want to be with women. Guys just don't do it for me (but you make great friends!). I can look at myself in the mirror and know who I am without questioning the person looking back at me.

So I came out to my aunt in this LONG email because I'm such a coward, and she took it so well I can't even believe it. I didn't expect such an awesome response from her, but it's a great feeling knowing I don't need to bottle it up so much anymore and I finally have someone to talk to about my problems!

But I think my main thank you goes to everyone in EC! Without coming here I think I would've done something bad to myself or continued to live without understanding myself. I'm really happy I was able to come to terms with my sexuality and actually get the guts to tell someone about my issues. THANK. YOU. SO. MUCH. :icon_bigg

2. Minx

Awww, congratulations! :slight_smile:

3. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    Congrats! I'm glad your aunt was accepting :slight_smile:

4. DeanIsHome

Congratulations! you're aunt must be such an AWESOME person!

5. CHML

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like one great aunt! :grin: Good for you! :slight_smile:

6. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Aw congrats!! I think think that's a cowardly thing to send an email, I sent a REALLLLLLY long Facebook message to someone when I first came out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats! I don't think that coming out via email is cowardly at all. I came out via facebook message to some people. I think that as long as you tell people in a way that you are comfortable, nothing else really matters.

8. Nyanko

Aww, thanks so much everyone! It only gets better from here. :grin:

9. Nyanko

As an update: I've told a few more people (including my sister) and they've been nothing but supportive! :slight_smile:

My aunt is coming over so I can tell my mom and then probably my dad. Nervous right now. :x

10. shovelman

Congrats on having family who are very supportive I hope everything goes just as great with your parents :slight_smile:
    Good Luck :slight_smile:

11. Nyanko

NOPE. Well, my mom took it really, really badly. She said she still loves me, but religion got in the way and she can't really "get" why I am the way I am. She thinks I'm going through a phase as her way of denying it. The thing I hated was her breakdown. She's been crying for three hours...and apparently my IQ has dropped and I'm retarded for being gay.

My dad doesn't even care. He thinks it's not that big of a deal, but since my mom gets mad when he's not on her side, he's trying to not be an ass about it, and at the same time convince her it's just who I am.

12. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm so sorry to hear that your mom didn't take it well... :frowning2: Though I'm certainly glad everyone else seems to be. Ouch though. It takes a thousand "atta boys" to erase one hurtful comment. She probably just needs some time to accept this is what makes you happy.

Please message me if you need to vent. <3

13. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I'm so glad your family was accepting about it, but I'm sorry about your parents' reactions. :frowning2: Maybe they'll come around in time... learn that you cant change your orientation, and realize that there's really no problem with being gay. Maybe your dad will influence your mum to be a bit accepting about it. I see not caring better than discrimination.

Hope it all goes well for you. At least your aunt and sister are supportive.

14. shovelman

Congrats on taking the courage to tell your parents. Sorry about your mom but it sounds like your dad took it ok and maybe he'll convince your mom that it's ok that you're a lesbian and might call down. Show her to PFLAG, it could help :slight_smile:

15. Nyanko

Thanks everyone. :slight_smile: She's trying to convince me that I'm just confused, but I've been confused for a LONG time and now that I'm certain of who I am, there's no way I'm going back. I feel she'll eventually come around, but I won't force her to accept it if she doesn't want to.

All my dad had to say was, "Don't go around telling everyone," which I guess is his way of accepting it?

16. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Awwh that's awesome.. I wish I had enough courage to tell a family member lol

17. BornInTexas

Congratulations on all those who accepted you! Hopefully, your mother will come around. I wish I had your courage to tell my parents. Good luck with yourself!