1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

May have accidentally "come out" at work today

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by FemCasanova, Feb 8, 2013.

1. FemCasanova

*Feeling a little shaky*

We have lunch at work with cakes every friday where we sit and talk, eat cake and are social. Today I sat next to the guy who has the office next to mine, a young guy, and we began talking about computer games. So, then I manage to blurt out that when I played Borderlands with my girlfriend, she ... blah blah... and she ... until I realized that I was totally blowing my cover. I am not sure if the others around us heard, but they might have, we were sitting pretty close around a large table, so even though those further in the other end didn`t hear it, at least 3 people were sitting next to us on each side of the table. He would definitely have noticed, but didn`t react in any way, which is why it took me a few seconds to realize what I had said :confused:

God, when I start talking computer games, I just don`t think! I get far too enthusiastic about it, so I blabber. Feeling a little uncomfortable now about who heard/didn`t hear. I hate that feeling, because I really have nothing to hide, really. It`s just the fact that this was an accidental outing, instead of something I had planned and prepared myself for.

On the other hand, maybe by some miracle they didn`t hear, and he didn`t notice that I said she and perhaps I got worked up now for nothing :confused:

:bang: Moron me should learn; not talk about computer games at work, no matter how many competitions the other guy has won! Computer games leads to outing, computer games are bad! :dry:

2. chibiidol

chibiidol Guest

well i would just go about things as normal, if they act the same with you still then they either didnt hear or they are supportive which i think is a good thing (b^_^)b
    right?

3. uwi

uwi

I’m sorry to hear that. But as long as it’s not a hostile place for gays to work at or where it's full of judgemental people, then surely it shouldn’t be that much of a big deal that you came out to him or whether others have heard you or not?

I get that the coming out part has not happened the way that you had hoped or planned for it to happen, but at least it now makes it easier considering that you don’t need to watch your words anymore since it’s all out in the open now.

4. FemCasanova

Yeah, you`re both right, and it`s not a hostile work-place at all. I work at a pretty decent place compared to a lot of other people, it was just the initial nerves that grabbed a hold of me there. And still somehow do. And I guess a part of me hope that they heard, so that it does get spread around a bit, so that they`ll know, and I can participate in the conversation and bring up my gf and our stuff, just as much as they bring up their husbands, and their darned curtains and all that jazz.

Actually, now that I am thinking about it, I am almost worrying more they didn`t hear.
    Gah :lol: People, myself included, are really weird most of the time!

5. uwi

uwi

Lol you can all now share stories of your loved ones, from their cats, to their dogs. haha

6. FemCasanova

Oh yeah, and I really also loved to hear about how one colleagues neighbor cheated with 6 different people while she was married, and how they still live together and make it work. Or how her roof is in serious need of repairs.

Yawn.

7. Nemo39122

I worry about doing that all the time...*hugs*
    BUT, here's the good news. If they heard, they didn't react poorly...so chances are they accept you. I know being out at work is a complicated issue but if you're somewhat friends with these people I don't think it'll be a problem at all. :slight_smile:

8. BiWidow

Maybe, he just thought you meant your girl friend. I have heard some women use that term to refer to a female friend.

9. 461 467

Is there any reason you can't simply pass your girlfriend off a a female friend, if you are ever questioned about this? The word "girlfriend" has two significant meanings in modern society. If a person is involved with a female in a romantic/sexual sense, she is his/her girlfriend. On the other hand, women often refer to their female friends as girlfriends, without any romantic/sexual connotations. Depending on how you said the word, it does not necessarily arouse any suspicion that you are a lesbian.

If you are worried, perhaps you should consider casually referring to various other female friends in the same way. (But be subtle about it!) If you have a friend that your coworkers know, for example, find a way to slip it in conversation that she's a girlfriend.

10. Capichino

Lots of girls here call here freinds that r Gurlz they call them there girl fries but not in thy manner

#10 Capichino, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  11. FemCasanova

I`m Norwegian, our word for boyfriend/girlfriend is gender neutral, and isn`t used to describe friendly relations. Kjæreste. It means the one you hold dearest, as opposed to venn/venninde where one means friend (gender neutral relatively) and the other mean female friend :wink:

But that`s it for the boring language stuff :slight_smile: Just thought I should explain it as two of you suggested the same thing.

12. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope everything turns out fine. You were just being yourself and sharing part of your life like everyone else does and that's totally cool. Let us know how it goes next week at work. I bet it'll all be good :thumbsup:

13. yay! all seems to have ended well for you from what i see. they didn't react so i'm assuming they were indifferent about it, which is great! two birds one stone-like situation for 'ya right there. everybody wins.

and even if they didn't hear you, at least now coming out would be easier. you could always say "oh well i DID already tell you this before, remember? *tells event*" and so on. the only problem with this is if they end up being an ass to you.

14. Colours

Well even if they did notice it, wouldn't that be a good thing? You saying that shows that you think it is normal and are confident in talking about it, and them (or him) not walking away or being weirded out shows that they think there's nothing wrong with it either. :slight_smile:

I wouldn't worry about it!

15. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was like "Oh No!" when I saw this post, because I have read your other posts about your problems with your coworkers. So you aren't sure if they suspect anything? Keep this updated if anyone says anything, I'm curious as to how everyone will take it almost as much as you ^.^

16. FemCasanova

This was on friday, so I`ll see on monday if anyone says anything. But yeah, now I am feeling a lot calmer about it. They didn`t react visibly any of them, so.. The guy I was talking to noticed though, he got that half a second enforced neutral look, where they don`t show an expression because they don`t want to seem impolite by being surprised. I`ve seen it before, lol.

Actually, on Thursday is Valentine`s Day, and I am going to my GFs right after work. I wanted to buy those boxes with strawberries and melt my own chocolate to dip them in. She loves that kind of stuff :wink: But the strawberries gets bad quickly, so I am thinking about doing it at work during lunch-break, lol, so that they`re fresh when she gets them. Mostly, our little kitchen isn`t crowded during lunch, cause they go to the cantina one floor up to eat. However, should someone go in there, they might see it and ask, and I`ve decided that if they do, I`ll definitely give a "straight" answer :wink:
    (pun intended)
    Basically because this slip up made up my mind that I am not interested in this continued hiding stuff or feeling nervous about something that I absolutely shouldn`t be nervous about. I`m not going to do the same thing like with my previous job, hide it until the last week at work before anyone finds out, especially since they there reacted so well. It was ridiculous that I waited so long.

17. FemCasanova

Oki, so now I am out to 3 people at work (that I know of).

My original plan didn`t work, but had a casual friday lunch again, and three of us had a conversation, in which I managed to say "her" connected to the conversation about what I did on Valentine`s day, a few times. One of them reacted with that weird look of hiding surprise to be polite, the other one didn`t. She actually still seemed completely relaxed, which was a pleasant surprise. I would have guessed that if anyone there would take it like it was no big deal, it would be her.

So, with the gossip box active like in any other office, I should be completely out in a few days :wink:

Which feels very nice!

18. Ianthe

Congratulations!

If you are no longer screening what you say to conceal your girlfriend's gender, I think you can regard yourself as out at work. Being out doesn't necessarily mean everyone knows--in fact, that would be impossible. So, as long as you are letting people find out, and not hiding it, I think it's fine to regard yourself as out.

19. mwaffles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually think that it's great when you come out like that, when it's spontaneous and you don't even care haha. That's awesome, girrrrrl.

20. FemCasanova

Yeah, you are quite right. I do regard myself as out now, because those who don`t know will be mostly the ones who I do not work closely with. The rest will gossip it out.
    It`s nice not having to be careful with what you say.

---------- Post added 18th Feb 2013 at 06:44 AM ----------

Oh, I care, but in a positive way :wink: