1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joined a Gay Men's Chorus!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Markio, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Markio

Since I've graduated from college, I haven't had the chance to sing very much. So for fun I auditioned for a Gay Men's Chorus in a large city near me. At first I got to attend two of their open rehearsals. It is so fun! It's just a big group of 100+ gay men, and we all sing! There are men of all ages in the chorus (I'm one of the youngest members), and there's this general attitude toward one another like, "we share a common adversity, so we are all here for one another." It's so awesome!

I know this isn't exactly a coming out story, but it certainly feels like one to me. I only came out about four years ago when I started college, and since graduating I haven't really had a group of people in my life that I could be myself with (excluding EC and the internet, I mean). But this chorus feels kind of like a relief, like I can finally be someplace where there's no stigma attached to being gay.

I've also never talked to my dad about me being gay; I knew my mom told him at some point like two years ago, and it wasn't really an issue for him. When I told him I got into the chorus, he hugged me and told me he was proud of me. My ex-Marine brother said the same thing, the only other family member I hadn't talked to about me being gay. It's nice to know that nobody in my family is in denial about my sexuality or uncomfortable with it.

So yeah! I've officially outed myself to my whole immediate family, plus I get to do something a I love with a group of confident gay men!

2. Minx

Ooh! :grin: congratulations! :slight_smile:

3. DeanIsHome

Oooo congrats (!) I hope one day we can hear you guy's sing

4. Gen

Gen

That sounds really cool. Congrats and I hope everything goes well.

5. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    Congrats! I bet it's fun to be a part of a gay choir :slight_smile:

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Markio, that's great! I know a bunch of people in different choruses, and most of them say that the social aspect is as much or even more important than the singing aspect. And the bonus being that you have a reason to bring up the issue with your family, which is a nice way of sort of integrating it into your respective lives. :slight_smile:

7. SmokeandMirrors

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's amazing, I would love to join a choir or something like that. I have to sing daily as an adult in a hall full of children but would really grab the opportunity to work on my voice and technique a bit more and just increase overall confidence really as I don't rate myself the best of singers...but I still love it :lol: Not really sure what I should look out for tho?

8. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Its great that you have found something so positive and affirming ... and fun!!

9. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Con grats Man

10. Ianthe

I just saw this, and I HAVE to answer it.

I'm in a lesbian choir. I love it. And I do think the social aspect, as Chip said, is at least as important as the singing aspect. And of course, gay and lesbian choirs also have a mission to raise public awareness on gay issues, and to create music that is affirming to LGBT people--which is also a little different from just the singing aspect, although it certainly has an impact on the musical programming.

I love choir, so, so much. I got to go to the national festival over the summer, and it was amazing. I strongly recommend it, as a way of connecting to the community.

11. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That actually sounds pretty cool. Congratulations! I've always wished I was better at singing so good luck with all of this. :slight_smile:

12. darlig ulv

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, sorry, just picturing a gay choir.

13. Gay Men's Chorus? Isn't that a little redundant? Couldn't you just say "Men's Chorus" and let the gay part be implied?

---------- Post added 14th Feb 2013 at 09:37 AM ----------

Seriously though, good for you.

14. jimL

That's sooo cool. I have thought about joining the local gay chorus. You've inspired me, maybe I'll just do it.