1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My story - how many times must I tell someone!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Nibbles, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Nibbles

Nibbles Guest

Hi, this is how I finally managed to come out to the people I work with about 1.5 years ago now.

Background and Characters:
    I am a country boy who comes from one of those villages where EVERYBODY is white, English and straight, so coming was always something I'd dreamed of, but I'd learned how to act straight.
    Jake (not real name) - a guy I work with who looks EXACTLY like Jake Gyllynhall :icon_wink (straight as they come, just in case you were wondering!) He is basicly an amazing guy, who I had already decided I might come out to.
    Various others referred to as he/she as fit, I work with all of them.

The story:
    We were in the pub discussing the perfect woman, I was quiet on the subject, but nobody particularly noticed, THEN we started going round the group :eek: and my mind was blank for the first time ever (I used to make up something, blonde hair, blue eyes etc.), plus Jake was there, so I thought, hmmm, maybe I can do this.
    Guy leading: So [Nibbles] what about you?
    Me: ermm, OK well, RIGHT, I'm going to tell you sumthing I've not told anyone before...
    Him (getting it): Don't say anything u don't want to say.
    Me: No I might as well say it, basicly I have this fundamental problem with the question.
    That's it - I still hadn't said the 3 words but I was out, or so I thought....

Next Day (me on cloud nine (!) ):
    Jake blanks me, I get worried :icon_sad:

Few days later (pub again, but just me, Jake and some randoms he knows):
    Me (breaking ice): So, well, it's kinda feels weird to finally have said what I said.
    Jake: What are u on about?
    Me: You know a few days ago.
    Jake: [Mentions some random thing that was also discussed that night]
    Me: arrghh, no, errm [remembers his friends are there], I'll tell you later.
    Later (playing pool):
    Jake: what were you on about before.
    Me: [Replays conversation above - still don't say the words]
    Jake: Oh right, I'm totally fine with that, in fact my old housemate was also.. [He didn't say it either]
    Me: [Phew] :thumbsup:

Another girl friend of mine took at least 4 attempts to make it stick in her head - at least a once I actually said it and then we were in the pub discussing guy, girl, girl threesomes (as you do :grin: ) and she thought I might be able to contribute :bang: Then finally i was on the stage dancing to some cheesy music and heard her talking to another friend (I thought she might have finally got it after the threesome conversation) :
    Her (watching me dance): I can't believe he hasn't got a girlfriend.
    Him: He's gay!
    Her: Oh, now it makes sense
    I felt like applauding, but I was in the middle of some particularly extravagent moves (as is my way) and didn't want to lose it (!) (!)

And that's it, everyone at work knows!!! :eusa_danc

2. biisme

that's great! congratulations!!!!!!!!!

3. Nibbles

Nibbles Guest

It was one hell of a relief, though I have still have to tell all the friends I've known for over 5 years, plus family :dry:

4. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I live in one of those villages too. Congrats!

6. Andrew1403

Andrew1403 Guest

wow that takes guts man! you have some major Cahjones! (balls lol) i am still in the dark with my friends and 2 brothers, have not yet thought been able to tell them, one brother is 17, and my older brother is 24, and i turn 23 tomorrow...wOOt?:lol: :confused:

7. Nibbles

Nibbles Guest

:roflmao: Thanks, but the weirdest thing about it was, it really just felt like the right thing to do at that time, as I mentioned I learned to act hide it away in public and I couldn't understand why I was all of a sudden blank for something (anything) to say :bang: From there it was just a case of checking key people got it (which some obviously didn't :icon_redf )

Like you, the real scary thing is telling people like family (I have 2 younger brothers), and those friends that I've known for so long that IF any of them turned out to be homophobic I'd feel a big part of life disappearing :icon_sad:

Actually, that might have been a reason why I felt comfortable, I had only known these people for a year at that time, so if they had hated me, at least it was only a small part of my life they were in.