1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to a friend? Might be a bit of a problem?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Niqk, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There's a foreign student who I've come to like in my class, we've spent some time together and we even go to the gym together sometime. He's the sports type, and also holds a religious protestant view. Since he is a guy, he might hold it against me even though he's been nothing but nice and kind to me. I do like him a lot, but despite the fact that he is very good-looking and is always showing off his body, I feel nothing towards him apart from friendship, not even a crush.

My worry is that (through media, family, teachers etc.) the view I am used to is that if a gay person talks to someone of the same sex, then that other person will automatically think you're into them.

I just want to tell him so that I can at least tell someone else, but I have no idea what he feels towards gays in general. I don't think he'll hold it against me, but I'm not 100% sure.

2. Lucky Oshawott

I've totally been there bro. I think that if you want to find out his views on homosexuality first, you should bring it up in conversation, like, say you watched some documentary or read an article about gay marriage equality and ask him what he thinks? I think that if you decide to tell him, you should reassure him that you're not into him; Maybe if he feels awkward, and it's probably because he thinks you're interested, tell him instantly that there is nothing to it. I'm pretty sure he'd understand if he weren't a total homophobe, but if he is, he may take some reasoning. Hope this helps.

3. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's kind of giving it away. I can't be like 'oh hai, what do you think about gays'?