1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dad finally came around!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Oddish, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Oddish

Oddish Guest

The man who told me that I needed to stop with the "childish phase," and told me that I needed professional help, hugged me and apologized with tears in his eyes.

Yesterday, I went over to my dad’s house to spend the night. We talked a lot about my sexuality and sexuality topics, along with my life and if everything was “okay", which I didn’t understand what he was trying to imply. I felt pretty nervous letting this all go at first.

(For a bit of backstory, back in December, when I came out to my mum, I asked her if she could break the news to dad. So she did, but of course he reacted extremely homophobic, telling me that being gay is an "act" and I need to cut the shit, along with seek out therapy. He's been cruel and bitter towards me for something so trivial, just over the fact that I like women.)

As we were talking, I brashly mentioned, "I'm gay." "I really am." He paused for a minute and said, "I know." I continued to rambled on, and he started crying while I was talking.

He apologized to me saying that he's been a huge jerk, and that he regrets so many things he's said to me. I persisted talking, and eventually mentioned my girlfriend. He was extremely shocked, but he didn't react badly. He was just surprised. And with that, I told him about how I went to pride a few weeks ago, and convinced him that my sexuality isn't just a "childish phase", which made him shut up. :wink:

We had a really nice time though… after our talk, he said that he still loved me regardless of my sexuality (just not my sexuality itself). We ended up watching a lot of movies, and he cooked a nice dinner for me, and I ended up falling asleep on the couch and he woke me up and took me back home. In contrast, he probably would've told me to walk back home to mum's place, after yelling and screaming at me for coming out. He was extremely nice about the whole thing.

I can tell that he still isn’t very happy about my sexuality, but as long as he isn’t acting like a condescending jerk about it, I think we’ll do good. I can see him fully coming around in some time, I can understand how this is a huge announcement to him, and he has to kinda process it all.

But, I'm extremely happy regardless. (I felt a bit hesitant on making a thread at first, but man, this is worth cake and celebration.) My own dad, my extremely stubborn, hardass of a dad finally accepted me. I feel like this is a dream.

2. Minx

Aww. Congrats. :slight_smile: (!)

3. Xochipilli

Yes! Progress! I'm so happy for you! It sounds almost dreamlike! :slight_smile:

4. HP7465213

Congratulations!

5. DarkenedSilence

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Congratulations! I'm very happy for you, this is great progress. (!!)

:goodluck:

6. Honor

Wow u must be on cloud nine..congrats :grin:

7. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is Awesome to hear!

8. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Finally! That's just amazing, who knew it would work out that way. So I guess he did mature a bit, just like you hoped XD

9. Cthulhu

Congrats! Very good to hear! :grin:

10. Danielbrazil

Danielbrazil Guest

Awesome!!!! It's amazing how we feel more free and light after coming out... My dad cried rivers the first time I told him and for months he pretended nothing was happening... But after this moment of denial, things have improved a lot and finally I left having only a father, now I also have a friend...
    Grants and my best wishes! :grin:

11. shovelman

It sounds like he's really trying to understand :slight_smile:. I'm glad things are working out between the both of you, congrats! :slight_smile:

12. ConnDonn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Congratulations! That is like one of the best outcomes ever! :slight_smile:

13. Ianthe

Don't forget to tell him it means something to you. You want to do what you can to reinforce it.

---------- Post added 19th Feb 2013 at 02:29 PM ----------

And Congratulations!

14. flymetothemoon

That's great. It's so encouraging to see posts like these around here. My family came around a bit slowly as well, and I think it's really important and great for people to post when they are celebrating that their family came around. It's such a huge milestone when they finally say something or do something that shows they are starting to get it and accept it even if they still aren't thrilled with the idea.

15. MixedNutz

aww that is GREAT!

16. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Wow that is truly amazing! I am so so happy for you!! :grin:

17. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Thank you, everyone!

I've been trying, but we don't talk very much, since he lives on the other side of town and I live with my mum. But when I stay over again this weekend I'll be sure to tell him.

18. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

Congratulations!!!!!! just say'n :wink: