1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brother Didn't Take it Well

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by GayLibertarian, Feb 16, 2013.

1. GayLibertarian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So it was me, a friend, my twin brother and a another friend who I was Facetiming (he knew I was gay and was there to help the process). So we steered the conversation to my gay tendencies and they just had at it. I eventually just said "you know what, I'm gay!". After asserting I was serious, my friend fell silent (I'm pretty darn sure he knew that I was gay).

But my brother, who had just gotten back from a party with a girl (pretty sure it's his gf) and the friend I was Facetiming, just wrapped himself in a blanket, curled up on the floor, told my friend he was "crying" because I was gay. He then continued to say how his life was "just getting good" and then somehow connected that me being gay would somehow be monumentally apocalyptic to his life. He threatened to out me, I went through the "you do that, retaliation will be swift and painful" spiel, and he just said to never talk about it.

He seemed to lighten up as the night went on, but as of today he hasn't said a word about it. It's obviously not the worst response, but nothing what I expected out of him. Sorry, just needed to vent... :icon_wink

2. Minx

I'm sorry. :frowning2:

But, at least you came out. :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

3. Honor

That is a very odd response..im hoping it stays died down for you both..hopefully he comes completely around and supports you!

4. BornInTexas

You're a twin? :O

When I came out to my twin brother, he didn't take it well either. He said he didn't want a gay brother, and he tried to turn me straight. Eventually, he came around and accepted it was who I was and there was no changing me. We still talk regularly.

Give your brother time to come around, maybe he will. It surprises you.

I'm happy you had the courage to come out! Hopefully, he will come around. Good luck and I'm sorry to hear it went bad. (*hug*)

5. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I expect - because of your twin relationship - it is more complex for him [than say brother/brother]

and it will take more time to get his head round it - so just give it time...

and try some 1:1 communication with him

6. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi GayLibertarian

Congrats on coming out to your brother.

Perhaps with him being a twin he is worried that he may turn out to be gay in the future, or that others may think this will be the case. I have seen references on the internet that show that this in not necessarily the case even with identical twins, perhaps you could research this and have the information to hand in case this is behind his reaction.

SaleGayGuy

#6 SaleGayGuy, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  7. slashlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    that sucks. my brother can be a dick, (but i havn't come out to him, so he might be supportive)

btw you're username is awesome

8. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    It'll get better, I'm sure. I agree with SaleGayGuy: He probably thinks he'll turn out to be gay himself, but if he's that uncomfortable with it, he'll get over it pretty soon (I hope :slight_smile: )

Good luck!