1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just went to a PFLAG meeting and came out to fellow gays!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Asari, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I have been really lonely and depressed the last few months. Mostly because I used to be in ministry so most of the friends I've come out to have reacted very badly. I have been trying to work up the nerve to go to a gay support group or something for the last few months. I need to make new supportive friends. Every time I tried I chickened out last minute. So today I saw my therapist and was very encouraged. It was then that I decided I WAS going to PFLAG and chickening out wasn't an answer.

I WENT! I am so proud of myself. The actual meeting was uneventful but afterward I very nervously introduced myself to people and one member talked to me about the church the meeting was at and how accepting they are. I told him how I used to be in ministry and had to leave my ministry and my church. I also told him that I'm loosing a lot of my friends so he introduced me to someone who is involved with LGBTQ resources on campus. I just felt very loved and surrounded by people that wanted to go out of their way to get me help and get me friends.

This is literally the first time in years that I have felt accepted and loved by a group of people and I finally have hope that one day it might get better.

I never thought I'd have the courage to do this but I finally did it!!!

2. DeanIsHome

Awwwww I really wanted to go to a PFLAG meeting and I still want to go but my parent's don't let me leave the house with out them unless I'm in school :frowning2:

3. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow. Are you in trouble or something? That is insanely strict. Especially since you are 15. My parents let me go wherever I wanted at 15. At least you are turning 16 soon. Maybe you can start saving up for a car. Do you have a job?

4. DeanIsHome

My mom know's I'm gay so she won't let me out cause "I'm being influenced by others to be gay"

5. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    wow. That's hard. Do you have a school councilor or someone you can talk to? I think what they are doing is pretty extreme. The good thing is you only have 3 years to go. I know that seems like forever. I remember when I was 15 and my house was really unsafe (even though I was in the closet) that the only thing that kept me going was knowing that I would soon be in college and out of the house.

I would recommend that you get involved with any gay resources at school if you can. I know that there you will at least be protected by the leaders. My high school was very safe but I'm not sure what it is like for you.

6. DeanIsHome

I'm trying. So what exactly happened during you're PFLAG meeting? did they just talk about up-coming events?

7. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They had a speaker when I was there. But the main guy said they usually share and split up in groups to talk and stuff. The main purpose is to offer support and advice.