1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardest person to come out to?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by MixedNutz, Feb 19, 2013.

?

Who was/is the hardest person to come out to?

1. Mom

41 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. Dad

74 vote(s)
    44.0%
  3. Brother/Sister

9 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. Best Friend

17 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Grandparent

15 vote(s)
    8.9%
  6. Other

12 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. MixedNutz

Who is the hardest person for you to come out, or who you came out to?

Why?

and was the reaction what you imagined?

2. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As of now one of my best friends, because she was the first one I ever told. She was great about it though, and I kind of expected her reaction.

Once I actually tell my dad, he will be the worst.

3. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, me and my mom are super close, we can talk about almost anything. Except, she is a passionate christian (passionate, not fake) and she is open with her disgust for gays.

Also, my older brother is gay, and she has only had two kids (Aka me and my bro) so she would lose her mind convinced both her sons are going to Hell. Plus, it would be hard to come out period.

4. BornInTexas

When my I was thirteen, my mother told me that I used to wear women's shoes. She thought I was gay. How funny, right? I finally got the courage to tell her, and she didn't react as I imagined. She openly told me how disgusted I made her and how she didn't want a gay son.

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I haven't come out to my only living grandparent yet, but she and I aren't close (never were, really), so I don't consider that an imperative. Of the people I've come out to, I thought my dad would be the hardest. My mom ended up telling him and my sister for me, so I never had to find out.

After he found out, the next time it was brought up, he expressed doubts about how I could be so sure, but he was never really unaccepting.

6. DeanIsHome

I think It would be hardest to come out to my great-grandmother since she's currently 75 and she always says to me "When I see at least you get married to a nice girl I can die" since I was her first great-grandchild (plus I'm a boy very prized in our culture)

7. Van

Van

My mom. Because I was always afraid to tell her. Fortunately she is fine with it (at least it looks like she's fine with it).

#7 Van, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me, it was my mom. I came out to my best friend first, and then my dad.

9. Cthulhu

Probably my uncle, who was essentially the father I never had. Even though I know he's indifferent on LGBT issues (he does view all marriage as equal, but he essentially views all marriage as nothing more than a piece of paper), my mom (his sister) tells me that he has been disgusted about the thought of a man loving another man in the past.

I know of everyone in my close family who would react most angrily to the news that I'm bi, it would be him. However, I also don't think it would be to the point where he'd never want to talk to me again (I think he'd eventually come around; plus, I think his wife, who is like a second mother to me, would accept me). Many of my first cousins as well as their mother (my mom's sister) would most likely accept me, though.

Edit:

Oh sorry, I thought this thread was about who is the hardest to come out to, not did already come out to. In that case, probably my best friend? I knew he would be very accepting of me, same with my mother, so neither were really difficult. They both reacted as if it wasn't a big deal.

#9 Cthulhu, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  10. LiquidSwords

Well it took me the longest to tell my best friend, he was the first person I've ever told and coming out to him still feels like one of the biggest moments of my life. Since I decided to tell him first though I couldn't really call him the hardest person to come out to could I? :confused:

The person who I've wanted to tell for ages but can't seem able to would be my Dad, I think if I manage to tell him I'll be able to tell anyone. So yeah, I'd go with Dad for the poll.

11. CHML

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My grandmother. I don't know if someone else has told her, but it's not the kind of thing I can see myself talking about with her. She is one of the dearest people to me in this world, and I really will not have that conversation with her.

12. CinePhys

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, it was my Dad. I poked my head round his office door and Said "Dad, I'm....I'm gay".
    "Yeah, I know, what do you expect me to do about it?"
    Turns out mother had told him 1 or 2 years (that's how long it took me to pluck up the courage to tell him) before at my request and I had forgotten.
    Not exactly the reaction I was hoping for but it was better than some/most and I'm grateful for it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. JustMe2602

My dad
    I haven't told him yet.
    But I imagine him being dissappointed and stuff like that. :frowning2:

14. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Definitely my dad. He didn't say much when I told him, but he still acts the same around me, so I'm assuming he's okay with it, to an extent. He still thinks I'm not sure what I want, and i can't know because I've never had a serious relationship before, which is understandable. But when and if I get married to a woman one day, I'm sure he'd be there to support me.

15. Jordz

Definitely my dad, hes gonna be the fucking hardest to come out to.

16. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The hardest person for me to come out to will be my wife of 25 years, but with the advice I have gained from others on this site that have travelled this road before me I know it will be possible and is ultimately the best and right thing to do.

Sale Gay Guy

#16 SaleGayGuy, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  17. Lewis

Definitely my parents. Probably because I have to live with them regardless of how they take it and because I'm their son. Parents tend to see futures (that they build up in their minds) for their children; futures that involve a husband, wife and a child. They also worry about what others may think, I mean we're already used to that and it's new to them so I kind of understand their worries.

Not sure how I'll tell them. They're not homophobic, but it seems like the toughest task in my life. They will love me no matter what, but I won't expect them to do cartwheels when they find out. It's going to have a the shock factor.

18. Hot Pink

Coming out to my mom and dad--my mom, more specifically--continues to be the hardest thing I had to do in my entire life thus far.

19. MCR

MCR

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My mom will be the hardest cause she's homophobic and openly discusses how much she hates gay people

20. Uncle... he's been so close to me, I don't know. I don't know if I could tell him that.