1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

worst coming out feeling ever

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Kyubi, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Kyubi

Hey. Ok so I just need to know - I've heard that coming out feels so great and all that stuff but my first time was not like that. I came out to a friend who was accepting but then he asked if I'm sure I'm not just faking or if it's not just a phase....so here's the thing - I got a rush but it wasn't what I expected...it was kind of dissapointing. Now - is it because of his reaction? Could I be lying to myself? Or does this not mean anything? I get intense rushes when just getting close to telling closer people though. I'm just affraid that I'm lying to myself about my sexuality or that it may be just a phase - this is not how I feel though...I have undeniable attraction to men and women. Just say whatever it is you felt when you came out also. Thanks!!

2. Kyubi

Am I being an idiot?

3. Ianthe

People have all different kinds of feelings when they are first coming out--and it's not always related at all to how people react. Sometimes, the first time someone comes out, they feel sort of sick afterwards, in fact, even if it goes well. Usually it's a good feeling, though--but obviously not when people are reacting badly.

But as time goes on it is much healthier and less stressful for you to be out.

4. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've had mixed emotions after coming out to some one. When I came out to my therapist, it was a whole week of freaking out. Mainly because I knew I was going to have to discuss this, and I hadn't discussed it with anyone ever before.

I had a similar reaction when I came out to my best friend...only because I didn't know how things would be after. I've since seen her a few times, and things seem okay.

As for my most recent experience, I came out to my parents on Monday, and it was splendidly...and I actually feel really at peace with it.

I think that by your friend asking if you were sure...and if it was a phase...made you doubt yourself and made it hard to feel good after. Don't doubt yourself based on someone else's reaction. You know yourself best. And, if you're attracted to both men and women, you're attracted to them...and it's not a phase...and you are as sure as you are right now. Be confident that what you're feeling is okay and correct, and that you don't have to defend this to anyone.

(*hug*)

5. Willjarvis

If you're being an idiot, so am I. I came out to someone for the first time in over a year today and it felt like I was lying too. Thinking that you're lying to yourself is one thing, but "lying" to someone else about it feels so wrong to me. We were discussing some female characters on a television show and I asked him what he thought about one I prefer one way or another. This is how the conversation turned:

Me: Well, I wouldn't because she's a girl.
    Acquaintance: ... You bat for the other side?
    My mind: No you don't. Don't kid yourself and don't kid him.
    Me: I'm not batting for either side now.
    (By "now", I meant "so far" rather than "as of this moment", but I wasn't feeling articulate.)

I didn't catch what he said after that. I felt awkward and maybe that made him feel awkward in turn. Which made me feel worse still.

6. Kyubi

wow ok....this is awesome. Thanks guys. I also should have added though, that when I actually came out to myself I had the most amazing sensation ever...I am very comfortable with being bi. It's just that I really doubt myself - I literally ask myself 'am I really bi? What if I'm gay or straighg?'. But these answers rocked - I feel much better now. I really want to come out to my best friend but am shit scared things will change....maybe someday when I'm willing to accept change. Thanks again.

7. MrHojalata98

Same thing happened to me. The first time I came out was to my now-best friend. And back then we weren't really close so when I told her, I expected this huge weight to be lifted off my shoulders or to be filled with joy or something. In the end nothing happened, i felt exactly the same. One thing I did notice though is that when I told my sister, who I'm extremely close to, I felt amazing. I actually started crying of happiness because she reacted so well. However the next few days I felt sick. I don't know why, I think I felt exposed or I felt that she would change her mind but in the end nothing changed either. So Im not saying this will happen to you, but you might react differently depending on how close you are to the person.

8. Kyubi

that makes sense. I'm out to two people I know personally and neither of them were close to me....which explains my 'lack' of feeling. The times I plan on coming out to my best friend, who I'm very close to, I get an intense adrenaline rush. Hahaha. Thanks.

9. MrHojalata98

Yea, I think the whole rush/relief of telling someone comes from actually being scared about how a person is going to respond. If the person you tell isn't very close it wouldn't affect you too bad if they reacted badly. do you know if your best friend Is accepting of LGBT people?

10. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I felt the exact same thing as well. I wanted to crawl back into my closet after telling the first person I came out to. I wanted to take it all back, and pretend it had never happened. But now that I've told my family and some friends, it feels better. I feel like I don't have to hide, like I'm not apologizing for who I am. :slight_smile:

11. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

I am the same feelings like you I am bi too and dont know what to do or how to come out because nobody will take me seriously i dont know why i fell like I am hiding that i am gay and covering up by saying im bi

#11 doglover44, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2013
  12. weboflies

I know just what you mean about doubting yourself, it can be tough when your sexuality falls somewhere in the middle. One of the main reasons for this is that sexuality is fluid and more so (I think) for bi/pansexual people than for gay or straight people because our sexuality is already less rigid. I personally will go through periods where all I'll think about is ladies and then the next week I could be all about guys, or somewhere in the middle. It can be very confusing, but the best thing you can do for yourself is to accept that your attraction will almost never be a 50/50 split and just trust in your own judgement

13. Kyubi

I'm not sure if my friend is accepting but I know he doesn't reject it. I just don't want our relationship to change - I would really die without this guy. Lol.

---------- Post added 21st Feb 2013 at 09:01 PM ----------

I know right?! It's extremely confusing and it just adds to the doubt. But I've gotten some nice perspective from you guys and others. I guess I'm lucky to be in a physical relationship with the girl I'm seeing - if it was emotional also I'd have probably left her by now because of the shift in attraction. At this time of my life I'm almost strictly attracted to men but like two weeks ago it was girls. And it's never exclusive but it's never less than 50% guys...so yes - I am not 50/50 and am leaning more to homosexuality. I think kinsey 4.... Thanks again to all of you, I feel a lot better.(&&&)

14. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    I can relate. When I came out to my cousin I thought that all my bottled up feelings would get lifted off my shoulders, but instead I felt like I got myself wrong or that it was to early to come out. Some of my bottled up feelings did go away, but I just didn't feel much better. But that was when I was 13 (we are really close). Anyway, this is your thread and as far as I know, it'll get better, slowly. Good luck! :slight_smile:

#14 DannyBoi66, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  15. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When you come out as bi or trans, it's basically presumed that you're pretending or full of shit, so that kind of a response, while extremely morally problematic, is not uncommon. I'm sorry your friend responded like that, and that's probably why it was not a good experience for you.

16. returning

That happened to me too. People on EC said that it was probably because I had told my mother, but since then I've come out to some other people and felt the same, (although a little less bad each time.)

17. Kyubi

I'm fully aware it's not uncommon but that doesn't make one any more prepared for it. I don't think it's the reason for the bad experience though. It might be because I wasn't actually scared to tell him. He was obviously closeted and came out to me a few minutes later. So it must just be because of that. Same with the second person I came out to - good female friend turned out to be gay and I came out to her a day after her. Hahahaha - still no feelings. I will find out when I tell someone I'm actually affraid of telling or am unsure about their reaction.

18. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

Its so hard to be accepting to my self

19. leer

telling mum&Dad felt crap but unfortunately I had to tell them because the people who already knew I didnt trust anymore so I did it myself .:frowning2:

20. Kyubi

it is very difficult to accept it. I didn't have trouble cause I grew up in a LGBT supportive environment. And I'm a very openminded guy. Just listen to yourself and it'll come with time but DO NOT try and change who you are - I'm convinced it will cause more damage than heal.