1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much things can change in a year.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by King, Feb 20, 2013.

1. King

King Guest

A year ago today, I came out to my dad. At the time, I was only out to my mom - I was okay with the fact that I was gay, but actually telling my family was a whole other situation that I wasn't really ready to handle. I only ever considered telling my family, as my friend situation was complicated and I didn't feel like I needed to tell them. I told myself that once my family was aware that I was gay, I would leave it at that and just do my own thing.

Anyways, a year ago today, February 20th, I came out to my dad - one of four people in my family that I wanted to tell. I managed to tell him I was gay through the phone, and he told me "I still love you" but it's taking him time to get used to it. Not that I throw it in his face, but I think him knowing he has a gay son is going to take some time to wrap his mind around. I'm in no rush for him to come to terms with it, as we still talk and see each other and he tells me he loves me. He's taking his time understanding it and I'm giving him as much time as he needs.

On June 25th, I came out to my sister. It was as swell as I assumed it would, and she was happy I was gay (because she always wanted a gay best friend) and we've been closer than ever before since I told her. She's super supportive and constantly tells me that she's here for me. It's very reassuring, haha!

On July 6th, I came out to my oldest brother. He told me that nothing's changed, and that I'm still his little brother. He's been as indifferent towards it as possible which is actually very awesome. We sometimes joke around about it, but he's understanding of it and accepting.

On July 14th, I came out to my other brother (and last family member I wanted to tell!). He was accepting and told me he'd protect me against any homophobia and that he has my back. He asked me a bunch of questions and make me feel really positive about it. He's amazing and he told me he's proud of me for coming out.

In August, my brothers told some of my co-workers that I was gay. Which was fine by me, because I walked around telling the female co-workers how gorgeous I thought they were all the time and what sane straight boy does that? Anyways they took it well, and they (my co-workers) said they loved me all the same and then started talking about how great I was.

In September I started college and got to finally just "be myself" as cliche as that sounds. I wore whatever the hell I wanted, and did whatever the hell I wanted, and scoped out cute boys with my sister. It felt really good to be able to do that.

In November, I met a boy. He was super cute, a year younger than me, and had a really great infectious personality. His smile was so bright, and he was so smart and clever and witty and just everything great. He hated me.

In December, I managed to break through his little barrier and we started talking. He asked if I was gay and I told him yes. That was that, he started acting a bit weird but nonetheless friendly towards me.

In January 2013, I moved out from my moms home and got the balls to give the boy my number. We started texting, and ended up hanging out at my place for a week straight. Every single day, we sat in my apartment and watched movies and talked and laughed and just had an amazing time.

In February, we asked each other out. And now I have my first boyfriend.

A lot can happen in one year. A year ago today I came out to my dad, and now here I am a year later, out to my entire family and with a boyfriend to boot. I guess the main point of this is just... hold tight. You might have a plan of how you want things to go when you start coming out, or you may think "I'll never end up coming out!" or "I'll never get a boyfriend/girlfriend!" but a lot can happen in a short period of time. I never would've guessed a year ago today that I'd be out and in a relationship. Don't rush things - they'll happen as they do! :slight_smile:

2. Xochipilli

There is light at the end of the tunnel! Hurray! :grin:
    Thanks for sharing! Your story is so sweet. I'm glad you're in a good place.
    I like everything about what you wrote!

3. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lovely story. Thanks for sharing. It gives me hope. :slight_smile:

4. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Aw that's such a great story!! Hopefully I can get a girlfriend on my one year coming out anniversary :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Fasciination

Great to hear this news on how far you have come in the last year, you seem to have cleared away all obstructions to a happy future now you can just get on with enjoying life without stress and worry.

What a great example for all of us still struggling with the closet door, if only we had the courage like you

Sale Gay Guy

6. brightside80

Congratulations! Seriously...it's so awesome to see stories like this. Thanks for sharing with us your story. I'm sure it will give many others hope and courage too! :slight_smile:

7. FemCasanova

That`s amazing, and I am very happy for you :slight_smile:

Time sure can work miracles for all of us, in a lot of matters.
    Very inspirational!
    :grin:

8. LiquidSwords

This story is like my dream come true :icon_bigg If this is how the next year goes for me I will be over the moon :slight_smile:

Well done to you mate, how old are you?

9. PeteNJ

Thank you for taking the time to look back, to share your story, your life with its uncertainties and with its joys.

Much happiness. Thanks for being inspiring to me, to many of us I'm sure!

10. returning

Thank you. That was very inspiring.