1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not so much a coming out story.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Kay, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Kay

Kay Guest

I have been thinking well really pondering the process we call coming out. Three items came to mind.

1. The first is why is this so difficult? It seems to turn into this huge production and massive struggle with feelings. For some it is even painful to their emotions and senses.

2. Why do so many of us struggle with self esteem? How many people walking around are not happy to be themselves. Yeah they may think they have a big nose or small boobs or they walk with a limp but unless something is really physically or mentally wrong they are happy to be who they are. It pains me when someone says i wish i were born straight. I am proud of who I am and would not change for any reason. I think there are many on here who feel the same.

3. Why do we come out at all? Straight kids never vacillate, ponder and struggle. They don't have the big sit down with mom and dad and say I am straight and wait for the repercussions. They grow up and if they are a guy they say, "I have a date tonight with Cindy." The family says cool the son takes the car keys and goes.
    If we believe that we are in fact equal to straight people in every way why does the struggle continue? Why doesn't a lesbian say, " hey I have a date with Cindy." The problem is not ours it is theirs and if they can't handle that you are queer they have the problem. If we are proud of who we are what the heck is the big deal involving so much drama? I bolded the questions. Hugs

2. FunnyMonkey

1. I think has to do with people tell you that being gay is wrong/ different and all we wont is to "fit in" as kids and if you are lgbtq then you don't fit the mold for society and you don't want to lose your friends/family.

2. I don't really think that it's just LGBTQ with this one at all, I think everyone has some thing that they don't like about them self . I got it from the bully's telling you every day that your ugly after while you start to believe.

3. On this I have been thinking about for a long time, should I just come home one day and be like this (insert name here) as I never said I was straight. I have thought about it long and hard and if anyone does not accept it right away it them not me.

Thanks kay.

3. Kay

Kay Guest

Another question came too mind. If we want to be equal why do we act differently when it comes to our orientation? I think very few straight people run around saying wow hey i am straight to everyone they know. They talk about their exploits. Hey Joe i got laid by Cindy last night. But we don't act like that at all. Susan doesn't tell all her friends she did Cindy last night.
    Are we really equal or just pretending?

---------- Post added 23rd Feb 2013 at 10:47 AM ----------

FunnyMonkey Thanks: #1 We are gauging what we do on the response of others. Are we living for them or ourselves. If these friends and family do not accept us why do we care. If we truly believe we are equal and deserve all the equal rights we should not have to act differently.
    #2 I agree that we all can pick ourselves apart but how many straight people do you hear saying OMG I wish I were a queer?
    #3 Why don't we just come home with our same sex partner? Foe us that is normal. We should be allowed to live our normal life. The problem is not ours. It is the person who has that judgement and attitude.
    Are we equal or not? Or are straight people more equal as society says and they do deserve rights we don't have?

4. Lewis

1. I guess it's so difficult because of the stigma society builds up around being gay and the negativity surrounding being gay. We're also partly to blame because we ourselves (not everyone) initially believe it's wrong and want to change it, then when we finally accept it it's just too difficult to tell anybody about it.

2. I think it's natural in today's society to judge and question ourselves, we're constantly comparing ourselves to those that are considered 'perfect'. Being gay has been seen so negatively for many years in both the media and environments such as schools; it's just impossible to not struggle with self-esteem issues.

3. I think we have to come out out in order to be ourselves because everyone automatically assumes we are straight unless they are told otherwise. I mean my parents always ask me about girlfriends and before I came out to my friends I was always asked what girls I thought were 'hot'. Coming our soon dispelled that and I am now able to just talk openly about guys I like - so coming out is sometimes necessary. Maybe in the future that won't be the case, maybe we will be asked what guys and/or girls we like. That's how it should be!

We are completely equal to straight people, but again it's society that has believed for so many years that we are not. I agree, it's definitely their problem and not ours. I just hope that changes (which I believe it slowly but surely is) and that coming out can become something natural that occurs during puberty with no stigma surrounding it. We do tend to make a song and dance regarding our sexuality, but I think sometimes that's necessary in order to change the perception of others.

Not sure if I've really answered the questions or just repeated your points. But there's my opinion on them! :slight_smile:

#4 Lewis, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  5. Minx

1.) I think it's difficult as a whole because we fear rejection. It doesn't matter if the family or social group is conservative or open. That primal fear of being cast out for who we are plagues us until the end.

2.) I think most people in the lgbt community struggle with self-esteem because of hetero-normative culture. All our lives we grow up with an outside view from the rest of the population.

GuyxGirl is what we see 90% of the time. In television, in books, movies and the majority of time we're with family and friends.

Why wouldn't we think low of ourselves? We know we don't fit in the way everyone else does. Sure, we sometimes get over this, but deep down we know we're blue - while the majority is vibrant red.

3.) We come out because it's our way of showing we're alive. This is who I am, this is who I love. I exist, I breathe, I am.

My purpose is to live, and that's what I'm going to do... but, I'm different from most of the world, I'm not gonna hide though, or pretend that I'm not different.

I'm just me. :slight_smile:

That's my input at least. :lol::grin:

6. Kay

Kay Guest

Lewissss: You did a fine job Thanks. Yes society is trained to respond to us a certain way. Do we want that always or do we want to be treated as equals? The only way to accomplish this is to act equal. Straights do not come out they just are. When you are asked about girls we find ourselves in this drama of having to come out. Why don't we just say well hey I like guys or if a female oh I like girls. That is equality when we can act the same.
    To change something such as society we need to be seen and heard. Yes there will be a struggle with some but if we are fully proud of who we are and our queerness and we want equal rights we need to act equal. We act like second class citizens and we live in the same country as the straight folks i am talking about. They are just accepted. Even if they pass laws to make same sex marriage legal will gays still be going through this arduous process? Sure we will because we have been taught to do this.
    What I mean by not come out is why don't we just bring the same sex partner home to meet mom and dad? Why do we need to make some big announcement first? Our straight siblings don't have too do this.

7. Cthulhu

For me, I was more nervous over the fact that if I come out, there's really no turning back. It's like the point of no return for me. It had less to do with how my family took it as much as myself looking into the long-term consequences of coming out (ie. what lies ahead in the future).

For most others, it's the fear of rejection. This is especially the case in more conservative families or neighborhoods.

In both cases, as Lovecraft put it, we fear the unknown.

I'm proud of who I am. My mom keeps telling me that while I should always think of the consequences when coming out to other people, it is up to me to decide who I should come out to.

Anyway, I feel fine with who I am and I wouldn't change anything.

It's because we live in a heteronormative society where being straight is expected out of most people. It's hard to blame society, too. Around 90% of people would identify as heterosexual (I'd include some standard error as a result of heterosexuals who are bi-curious).

I agree, which is why if I ever have a boyfriend I won't hesitate to tell my colleagues that I have one if it was ever brought up. They can react whatever they want, but if I love someone I won't let others judge whom I should love.

8. Capichino

So it is true what she said its one of the biggiest trouble that lgbt ppl have to go through, for most there is no way around it some u can wait a little longer and some don't plan to ever come out which is there choice and is just fine some even hate lgbt ppl because they are gay but they are in denial some. Lots think it is wrong being gay and (I didn't have time to watch the hole thing) (I'm kinda I between of being atheist and a crisgain) but anyway they think it is a HUGE sin to be but according the the hour long video that some1 sent me a link to lol. And I read that because of the EXTREAMLY low self of steam %10 of lgbt ppl commit sucide which some ppl say it is selfish which it kinda is and isn't buy it is still wrong and there is help out there ik thins for a FACT! U just have to go out there and look for it... Now back on the first topic I suggest not to come out until ur SHURE it is safe for you don't come out if someone in ur family (unles u can live in a safer place which will be better in the long run) hope I did good I know I missed a couple of concepts but its i think is good.

Austin-cappy

9. Lewis

I do think we are acting more equal than those in the past did. I mean I personally hate the idea of dedicated 'gay clubs' and parades. I go to all the same places straight people do and what you see is what you get in regards to my personality, I don't act in a certain way to get my sexuality across to others. If people ask, I'll tell them - but I don't go out of my way to tell people that I'm gay.

This could be seen as slightly homophobic, but I do think there's some that act up to the stereotypes, go to all the places that gay people are expected to attend and just generally living a 'gay lifestyle'. Being gay is a single part of me, not my whole entity.

10. FunnyMonkey

1. I think when it comes to live our lives we do a little bit of both for them and ourselves, but I do agree with you we need to start acting the same if we want to be the same.

2. On that my eyes skip a line I didn't see that part.

When they say "I wish I was born straight" what I think they really mean is I wish the world was more accepting of us. unless they are saying it has they find someone of the opposite sex.

3. We are not, but we are a better off every year that goes by especially with the younger people as they don't really care.

4. You add this one after.

umm a lot of people where I am do say who they have slept with regardless sexual orientation, but why I think some may not is they are in fear that something could go wrong and it could start a fight. or they my just not want to tell anyone.

11. Kay

Kay Guest

Minx thanks for the response. Your number three. I made a statement in my last post. Why do we find it necessary to say mom and dad i am gay before we bring home the same sex partner? Our brothers and sisters don't have to announce anything before they bring home their opposite sex partner. By doing this horrifying coming out process are we not saying we agree with the Hetero-normative society and helping it flourish by saying well hey i am different so i must follow different rules.
    In South Africa years ago Blacks and Those from India had to carry passes while Caucasians did not. Those Blacks and Indians could not walk on the sidewalk if a Caucasian was on it. Oh that is how society is and so we must continue to foster this bigotry. HMMMM How would LGBTQ people like to have to get off the sidewalk when a straight person passes? How would you like to carry a pass to live and purchase when the straight people don't? Would we rebel against this bigotry? I would hope so. A guy name Gandhi did fight against the unequal treatment and in the end those Indians were granted equal rights. At the time South Africa was part of England. The Indians were part of the Empire yet treated differently and had different rules. The Indians are like the gays here we are treated differently and allow it by bending to the rules of that is the way it is.

12. MerBear

1. The first is why is this so difficult?

this varies from person. It could be a fear of coming out and not being accepting. It could be coming out and scared if being wrong. It could be coming out and never finding anyone.
    It could be a lot of thing...it just varies

2) Why do so many of us struggle with self esteem?

because a lot of us are very critical of ourselves and look at other people and wonder why we cant look like them or why we cant be like them....
    some of the LGBT community are critical of themselves because they aren't accepted as easily as straight people. heterosexual couples are the norm...and being different isn't easy for some....so when someone has low self esteem as to who they are.....it might be because they aren't accepted easily by society and just want to be like everyone else...

3) Why do we come out at all?

to prove your not afraid to say your different but still human.
    to say this is who you are...
    coming out to people isnt easy for a lot of us.....its not easy because....your sharing a personal thing that you might have held in for a bit of time or something you might have denied....

and so giving that piece of information to someone ...is hard...because you never know how it will be taken

i could only answer those questions.
    my ex scarlett has never been ashamed of her sexuality either but i am but the again were like complete opposites

13. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    1. The first is why is this so difficult?
    Because you can't control the reaction of the people around you. It's a complete unknown which is scary.

2. Why do so many of us struggle with self esteem?
    My self-esteem issues are less tied to being lesbian and more tied into appearance. So I can't really answer this question.

3. Why do we come out at all? This annoys me that I have to come out. I shouldn't have to. I should be able to just tell my parents that I'm dating a gorgeous girl and have them say "cool." You're right; I shouldn't have had to have the big conversation and almost throw up in the process because it was so hard. If we believe that we are in fact equal to straight people in every way why does the struggle continue? If we are proud of who we are what the heck is the big deal involving so much drama? I wish I could answer these questions. I don't know. :icon_sad:

---------- Post added 23rd Feb 2013 at 09:25 AM ----------

I'm still so very new to this and unsure of myself in this that it's super hard for me to answer these questions. I am in no way comfortable with being lesbian. I keep thinking how much it seems to change for me...for my family...

14. Kay

Kay Guest

Cthulhu thank you for your input. IT is really very good. This is the third time Hetero-normative society has been brought up. If society is wrong and teaches bigotry how are we to change that if we do not act and represent ourselves as equal. I used and example of South Africa where the rules were different for different subjects of the British Empire. We are treated differently and because society is this way is it to be ignored and tolerated?

---------- Post added 23rd Feb 2013 at 11:42 AM ----------

Capichino Thanks for the response and you made a great point you said you don't come out until you know you have a place to live. Wow what a point. Why do we have to worry if we are equal? Our siblings who are straight don't need to worry about that. Why do we? Is bigotry really considered equality by the LGBTQ now?

---------- Post added 23rd Feb 2013 at 11:50 AM ----------

Flyalone45 Thank you for the response.
    You make the statement above. If we are equal why do we have to announce it at all? We are equal at least that is what we keep telling everyone. Yet we act in a totally different way. Straight kids do not announce their sexuality to everyone on the planet. Yes we are different but we say we are equal and live in the some counties as the straight people but we have to act differently to even try to be accepted. I say again that if same sex marriage becomes legal there will still be this process where we must act differently and defer to the heterosexual norm. We treat them as if they will always be more normal than us. We treat ourselves by following this coming out convention as second class citizens. The very fact that we discuss this issue over and over and person after person struggles with it we make ourselves second class. The process kills so many and it is needless if we truly equal.

---------- Post added 23rd Feb 2013 at 11:56 AM ----------

LEZmis4 You discovered tha the third question is the key one. Why do we need to do this at all. If in fact we are equal to our straight brothers and sisters why this step in the process? they don't have to do it. They just bring the girl or guy home as the case may be and everyone wants to know when the wedding is. We come home with our same sex partner and we need to find a new home. Until we make a change in society we will always have this step in the process that straight people do not have. Do we want this? Do we want to be truly equal? Hugs sweetie and thanks

15. Kay

Kay Guest

This is living as an equal. This is being the same. You say you don't make coming out announcements. If people ask you tell them. This is normal. When i was young well it was not so nice. But even today people worry about telling friends and family. I never worried about friends as i really did not care what they thought. If they rejected the idea they were not friends anyway and those that accepted never questioned after the fact. I never came out in that regard. It doesn't sound like you did either. Cool
    There are still pride events because we are still trying to change laws and the societal norms. These events do help society know we are here and getting stronger as a group. The individual still struggles when they should not have to. Thank you for the observations.

16. Jordz

1. The first is why is this so difficult? I think its because we fear the reactions of others, you never know how they are gonna take it.

2. Why do so many of us struggle with self esteem? It could be that we are used to being judged, so we judge ourselves. You see people who you think are perfect and you wish you were like them. I don't struggle with self esteem much anymore tho.

3. Why do we come out at all? I'm not really sure, its being made a bigger issue than it is. we should just be able to simply tell them in a everyday conversation instead of it being made out to be a huge thing.

17. Shiny Espeon

1) Why is this so difficult?

It's only difficult because we know that people could reject us for bring who we are. Even if those people are supposed to love us unconditionally. It has been one of the norms in society, but I see it changing. More and more people are accepting that not everyone is born the same way, and they are willing to let us be ourselves.

2) Why do so many of us struggle with self esteem?

The self esteem struggle is more caused by Hollywood than our orientations, because most people have the same struggles. We see all of these 'perfect' people on tv and in movies, and we want to be like them, so we grow to hate what we have.

3) Why do we come out at all?

We come out because we get tired of people assuming we are straight and/or cisgender. In today's society, while we have come a long way, people are still prone to assume that we are cisgender/straight unless we say otherwise. And we let people think that because we fear rejection. When we realize that the people that would reject us don't have a place in our lives, that's when we come out. I feel that it shouldn't be this way, but that's how it is. I do, however, see a day coming when it won't matter to anyone.

18. FunnyMonkey

Afterthought, If you think about straight people are the odd ones with the different type of sexual orientations they are the only ones who don't come out, they are not equal to us.
    We have to stop say we are not equal to them. we should say the truth they are not equal to us

I think everyone should have so kinda of coming out, but not like it's today more of just saying what you like. and without assuming anything about them.

19. MerBear

look , i just guessed here. im not an expert.
    i mean.....we dont have to act any different. love love regardless of gender.
    what im saying by different is that , its viewed as normal to love the opposite sex...

i dont know why people come out...
    i guess we like we have to...
    i dont know

20. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Having lived in the dark ages (60's and 70's) when it comes to sexuality, it is remarkable what strides have been made, this is a cause for celebration! So I plan to celebrate by attending the next pride event here in Montreal.

Before coming out to myself, I saw no point in doing this, I do not even identify with most of the other causes that have piggy-backed (so to speak) onto this movement, causes that tend more to the left of the political spectrum (not that there's anything wrong with that :icon_wink)

It is not that I identify with the more flamboyant members of the LGBT community, but I need, as a part of it now, to get to know that community and by being there demonstrate to the world that, although gay, I am for all intents and purposes part of the mainstream, and only equal in that sense (I hate the word "normal", no one should ever aspire to be only normal).

I get it, now more than I ever could before, that need to be proud of who I am and not ashamed. I think that those of us older contributors to this Forum know that we are straddlers, we have seen the movement from darkness to light and it is bittersweet, because to come out at this late-stage is in a deep sense tragic, there is no denying it. If only....

#20 greatwhale, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013