1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It happened...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by nodak89, Mar 2, 2013.

1. nodak89

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So... today, March 2nd of 2013, I have officially "come out". I had not planned on it but it happened...

I have started to question things many many years ago. I accepted myself as being gay 3 years ago. In those 3 years I have done a lot of thinking. All of the what-ifs, whys, blah blah blah. I knew that I would have to come out in order to move on with my life. I ran through so many scenarios of how, when, where it would happen. One thing was for sure, my parents would be the first to know. I would hate for them to find out any other way. I planned on doing it many times but would always back out. Not sure why, I knew my parents would except me for who I am. I was pretty sure they knew anyway... what parent wouldn't by the time you are 23 haha. I just could never find the "right time". I would always have an excuse as to why the time was not right

For the past 6 months I was in desperate need to tell someone... anyone. I was tired of keeping this secret to myself. I started to get depressed. Some days were better then others. I knew that it was time to move on... but yet could not find the time, place, etc to do it.

Well as I said before, it happened today. Totally unexpected. My mother has had many medical complications. She has been hospitalized multiple times a year for 20+ years. Well, she is back in the hospital. I traveled across state to be with her during surgery. The surgery went great. Now it is time for recovery. I sat in her room with her off-and-on throughout the past two days. Multiple times she asked what was wrong. She asked me if I wanted to tell her something. Yesterday I denied everything. I asked why she was asking such questions and her reply was "I can tell that you need to talk. I can see that you want to say something but won't.". I continued to say that nothing was wrong and I was fine. Well, earlier tonight she asked yet again. This time she got a little more specific. I knew immediatly where this conversation was going but did not say anything. She told me that she was there and would listen. She then started the 20 questions game... here we go :eusa_doh: Do you have a girlfriend? No. Do you have a boyfriend? :icon_redf No. Then she popped the question... out of the blue... do you have feelings for men? I did not say yes or no. At that time a nurse walked in the room, THANK GOD, and there was a break in the conversation. Went the nurse left my mom moved on to other things. I sat there and thought hard. Was this the time? Was this the place? Why did she bring this up now? etc. I come to the conclusion that it was going to happen now. So I said "about what you were talking about earlier. I just want to say that yes, I am gay, I am attracted to other men." Her face lit up and she said she loved me.

My mom then went on to ask the questions that a mom would ask. The ones about if I have ever had a boyfriend. If I ever would be attracted to a women. blah blah blah. She then said that she has known, or had a suspicion, that I was gay since I was 13 years old. She continued to say that she loved me no matter what and continued to ask questions. I knew I should be prepared to answer them. But I started to feel overwhelmed. I needed time to myself. I told her this. I told her that I would answer any questions she had but at this time I just needed some time alone. Some time to think. She respected my wish. We hugged, told each other that we loved each other, and I left.

So yah, now here I am. At my motel room, drinking a beer, typing on this form. My plan is to go back tomorrow morning and see how it goes. I feel different now. In a good way. Known that all of my fear was for nothing. Known that my mom would except me. At the same time I know that I have to be there for her. I need to help her along with this. There is so much weight lifted off of my shoulders. I am excited for the future. This is the first step. I know there will be rough patches but at the same time I know it is all for the better. I am moving on. No longer stuck in the past. I am scared about certain things at the same time but know they will work out. Over-all I am happy. :icon_bigg So, I will update this when the time comes. My plan of approach in the near future is to take things as they come. Not worry too much about them. What happens, happens.

That is all for now. I am sorry if this drug on. I am typing as I feel at the current moment. Hopefully it makes sense, if not, o well haha.

Until next time,

Tyler

2. Ticklish Fish

Congratulations!

and hope your mom is doing well <3 I wish her speedy recovery and get well soon!

3. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Great story! It made sense, don't worry.
    Congratulations! It sounds like your parents will be good about it, unlike lots of this forum's members (like me.)

4. Brenny

Congrats one taking this first step! It will only get better. I am happy for you and especially that your mom turned out to be so supportive. :slight_smile:

5. Van

Van

Congrats and welcome to EC, Tyler. (*hug*)

Wish your mom speedy recovery. :slight_smile:

6. shovelman

Congrats man:slight_smile:
    I hope your mom gets well soon :slight_smile:

7. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations Tyler, I am so happy for you, when reading your post, I could not help but picture the day that I have this conversation with my Mom & finally come out to her, I know my Mom will accept me, but that doesn't make it any easier to do what you have so bravely done, I wish your Mom a speedy recovery & you all the best on your journey in life :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

8. nodak89

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks guys. I still feel so much better. So much weight off of my shoulders. I talked with my mother again this morning. She called by dad last night (with my permission) and told him. He took it well and is accepting. I am relieved that both of my parents responded the way they did. I know that I am very lucky to have parents like them.

My next step is to tell my best friend, who is also my roommate. I fully trust him and he is the best non-family member I know. I just need a non-family member that knows, that I trust, and that I can talk to.

Other then that, I am going to tell on a want-to-know bases. If someone asks, I will tell. I am not going to prance around and such. Truly it is non of their business. But like I said, if they ask I will tell. :slight_smile:

Tyler

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really enjoyed reading this. Yes, it made sense. No, it wasn't too long.

You said you know this, but I'll echo what you and others said: you are really lucky to have parents like yours.

My best wishes for your mom's recovery.

---------- Post added 4th Mar 2013 at 08:54 AM ----------

Actually, I think there are parents that can be in very deep denial. I know of one case that went like this:

The son is about your age, and feeling confused. He talks to mom, and hints that he's worried that maybe he's gay.

Mom's reaction was basically: "Oh! No! You aren't! You are too masculine to be gay! So don't worry!"

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tyler, what a wonderful and well-written account of your experience. And... welcome to EC. And... congratulations :slight_smile:

I'm glad things went as well as they did, and I hope your mom feels better and is out of the hospital soon!

11. gador

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations on taking this big step and good recovery to your mom.

This is exactly how I feel, I hope my Mom will be as cool with it as yours is when I can finally muster the courage to come out.

12. PeteNJ

Fantastic Tyler! So glad for you and your Mom to have this talk and understanding. What a great thing for you!! Pete

13. nodak89

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    "My next step is to tell my best friend, who is also my roommate. I fully trust him and he is the best non-family member I know. I just need a non-family member that knows, that I trust, and that I can talk to."

I finally told him! He has no problem with it. Feel so much better knowing this. It is nice knowing that I have a friend to turn to if I need it. Have told my parents and now my best friend/roommate. Yeah!

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd been wondering "what next!" (I remember this when 1st posted).

Anyway, congratulations!

Hope your mother is doing better.

15. nodak89

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks. It took way longer to tell him then I first planned. Had to wait until the right time. My mother is doing much better.

16. Candace

Congrats on this!! For you and your mom :slight_smile:

17. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well Tyler, yours was one of the many stories that inspired me & helped me to come out to my Mom, I finally came out last Sunday 26th May :slight_smile:
    So Thanks (*hug*)

18. nodak89

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That is awesome! :thumbsup: