1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The plan to come out to Mum....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Last Gentleman, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Last Gentleman

So, mum doesn't know. At least, I think she doesn't.

I brought up the topic of gays and asked how she felt. She said she's accepting of gays, but seeing her female friend in school kiss another girl made her physically sick.

6 weeks ago I showed her my new earring (in the right ear to match my left ear), she slipped out "so you're a girl now".

A couple of weeks ago she saw my rainbow chain anklet. She stared hard for a bit and asked "what's that". I just replied defensively "so what".

Well, I came up with a "plan" to soften her up to the gay life style.

Videos.

We've started watching DVD's, first was "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" because she said she'd never seen this iconic Aussie movie.
    Well, I followed that up by a number of "normal" movies which we've both enjoyed watching.

Today, I put on "You Should Meet My Son", which is a gay themed movie.
    Didn't work out as well as I hoped, but not for the reason I thought.

Turns out, the acting was too "over the top" and "fake" and the many jokes were "flat".
    She said nothing about the clearly gay theme.

So, we stopped the movie and we put on another one. Non gay themed, but had a section in it talking about lesbians with some good humour. Mum laughed hard.

So, for the future. I'm still hoping she'll work it out and ask. But I shall play many more "normal" videos before another gay themed one.
    And hopefully at some point I'll gain the courage to tell her.

(PS, I know it's not a proper coming out story, but this was the closest forum to post it into)

2. RainbowMan

Don't worry about posting to the wrong forum :grin:

I think that by dropping hints to your mom like this, it will soften the blow, but I think that her reactions to what you have been doing thus far have all been positive. I think that you should work up the courage to just explicitly tell her - I know that it's hard to do, but in the end, it will be best for your relationship to be based on honesty and openness, and not hiding a huge part of who you are.

Of course, this is just my opinion :slight_smile: