1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I actually did it.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Rexmond, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Rexmond

My parents have recently "split up" - not sure exactly if that's the right phrase, and so I have been pondering whether to come out to them, or not. My father is an extreme homophobic, and because of religious beliefs, I acknowledge the fact that my mother would not be happy, and so I know exactly how both of them react. Oh, and it wouldn't be very good.

Just a bit of BG information there and the reason I mention it is because my dad has screwed up my family's life including mine, in so many different ways. Because of the broken relationship, and the abuse I received, I had to cling on to the first man who showed a different light, before I done something I would have seriously regretted...

So that man happened to be my Biology teacher.

First time we had a lesson I was instantly attracted to him, he was just my type. I didn't realize this crush would turn into something so much stronger. So over the 2 and a bit years that he taught us, I would also go to him when I was having troubles at home, and he was always there for me. He always knew exactly what to say and could turn the worse situation into a good one with ease.

I hated the idea of explaining my situation with him, because even though he'd always been there for me - I had no idea what he thought of gay guys, and it could have been that he was homophobic. But I took the risk, and wrote a letter, and after much hesitation handed it to him on Thursday. I told him I'd talk about it tomorrow, because I knew it would be very sudden to just chuck all of this at him. + It would have been easier for me to let all the anxiety die down.

And so, after talking to him today, it turns out he doesn't mind about gay people at all, which was such a relief because when he asked me what exactly I wanted (regarding the letter), and when I said "to tell my parents I'm gay", I was expecting a surprised/disgusted look on his face, but there was hardly a change in facial expression, then he smiled at me, and I just wanted to cry. If only it were that easy to do with my parents.

He told me that I shouldn't tell my parents until I'm 18, when school is out of the way because it could really mess everything up. He said I should be my own man, and I'll have to face what my dad does.

I'm going to talk to him more on Monday, ask if he can help set up counselling sessions with my school.

2. PeteNJ

How great for you to be accepted as gay by someone you trust so much! Very happy for you -- congratulations!:thumbsup:

3. BornInTexas

Congratulations! :slight_smile:

That takes courage to tell your teachers, especially one you are attracted to.

I hope everything in the future goes well!

4. ioden

That's a great story! How unexpected that a teacher would be your greatest support, I'm glad you could find him :slight_smile:. And, I think his advice is right and thoughtful.