1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I out myself or did my Mum just know

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Beware Of You, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

So about 18 months back, I was depressed, lonely and away from home which drove me into clinical depression. I self harmed and eventually broke down. Which ended up with me in a hospital.

My Mum (who was obviously concerned for me) tried to find out what made me like that, but I wouldn't speak to either of my parents about it. I got better thanks to my parents and the doctors so I thought that they didn't figure it out. (I wasn't ready to be out) .

Fast forward a few months and I had ended up with a boyfriend, by this point I was out to my friends, I live on twitter so I am out there. Eventually I knew I had to bite the bullet and tell my parents .

When I did come out, Mum already knew I was surprized. She claimed to have seen my twitter, however I know she is useless with that type of thing and I don't even use my real name on my twitter so I doubt she saw it.

Could it be that she knew all along and is just trying to spare my feelings about it?

2. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I hear a lot of people say that the Mother has always known, perhaps it's something to do with Mother & child connection :slight_smile: I have a feeling my Mammy knows, I guess until I come out of the closet, I will never know :confused2:

3. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    not true bout mom's knowing ....

not to sound blunt bro, but maybe coz you act a bit "fem" and so she assumed? everytime i see a guy who is fem..i assume that they swing and most of the time im right...

4. hkboy93

gah
    i started a similar thread somehwere called "do parents know"
    i think you can still click on that thread on my profile stats

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Moms, particularly with their sons, do seem to have a "sixth sense" and often know well before their son tells them. It has little to do with being femme, or any stereotypes; it's just a mother's intuition.

In your case, there are several possibilities as to how she could have found out, or what could have led her to the conclusion, but what's important is she knew, waited until you were ready to tell her, and seems totally ok with it. And that's a lot of goodness :slight_smile: