1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outed on the news?!?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by PeteNJ, Mar 21, 2013.

1. PeteNJ

I may be out -- like really out very soon (ha!)

Tonight I attended an event I was invited to on marriage equality.

However it happened, I was seated next to the main speaker... (I didn't know that when I sat down).

He starts speaking, and suddenly I realize from the back of the room the event was being videoed.

You cannot make this stuff up!

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ha! you may suddenly find yourself swept up in some political movement and become some kind of spokesperson or something (ah life, full of the unexpected!)

3. AKTodd

Hmm. I would say that this greatly increases the chances that some people will make assumptions and some may want to ask you about it. But as a practical matter, it seems likely that there were some number of straight supporters of marriage equality in the room and you could just as easily be grouped with them by those not 'in the know'.

Ultimately, I'd say that it comes down to how you want to handle any questions that might be asked about your presence there (mainly in terms of what reasons you choose to present for supporting marriage equality).

From your posts, I was under the impression that you'd pretty much come out to everyone you had planned to at this point. So it's not like your loved ones will be getting a big surprise...

Just some thoughts,

Todd

4. PeteNJ

It was all representatives of various LGBT organizations from across the state. We all went around and told how we identified -- all LGBT folk, really.

Yeah, its ok. Just a little funny. I have no problem with it opening more doors.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ya know, I had something similar happen to me a couple of days ago. I was written into a news story in my college paper. It shocked me a bit at first, then I realized that I wouldn't have to tell all of the people in my residence hall about me being pangender...

So, I see it as a win/lose situation. I hope that everything goes well for you :slight_smile:

6. Ticklish Fish

lmao.
    so now you already feel that you might be on tv, lol.

just hope that the people in your world (who interacts with you) don't bother freezing frames and look at you lololol

i mean, you already made the step to join that event. might as well expand it?

7. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Funny how your coming out timeline was advanced so this was not an issue for you.

Everything happens for a reason. Little miracles everyday that we ignore.

8. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    Goes and googles marriage equality video NJ and see what comes up. :lol:

A few times over the last few years I have gone, what the hell. I guess it comes down to your reaction to it, if someone is watching it then they will most likely agree with marriage equality, so if they noticed you then you could be honest with them, it will make it easier for you, bringing up the subject can be hard.

About 3 months ago I was having a drink with a couple of friends and only 1 of them knew I was gay, and then this friend goes and tells the rest of the people who were there. :eek: oh well these things happen it wasn't the end of the world, and as this person was one of the earlier ones to tell he sort of expected that more people would have known. I did think about it later and my friend was right, does it really matter.

9. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well done Pete, it’s good to see you getting so involved in LGBT issues :eusa_clap. If you do appear in the video are you going to post a clip on EC?

Sale Gay Guy

10. PeteNJ

No videos up, but pics that clearly include me.

:smilewave yes, I'm gay, really, hello all :smilewave

11. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone